Fondant Cutouts On A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By cakeythings1961 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm by cakeythings1961

cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 5

I like the look of a really smoothly iced buttercream cake, and all my family/friends like the taste. But I'm wondering if it's possible to stick fondant cut-outs to the sides of a BC cake? Will they slide down the icing? How would I stick them on?

Has anyone tried this? I'm definitely going to have to experiment, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. Thanks!!

4 replies
Donnagardner Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 5

If your icing crust it will work just fine. I wet the back slightly and apply it to the side no problems.

texanlostlover Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, definitely! Like the previous reply said, just make sure that it's a crusting buttercream. I use a paintbrush to dampen the fondant pieces, then place them on. Just make sure you don't use too much water or it will slide or bleed onto the buttercream. Some people also use a "gumpaste glue" by mixing gum-tex and water or tylose and water, but I think just using a little water is easier.

leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 5

I only use a non-crusting bc and I do fondant accents ALL the time. Before the icing crusts even slightly, just slap those fondant embellishments on there.

cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 5

Cool. So I have two techniques to try:

1. Let crust, carefully glue
2. Don't let crust, slap 'em on

Awesome. I'm baking tonight and experimenting tomorrow. Thanks so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%