Help! Does This Cake Look A Bit Boring? Should I Add More?

Decorating By jojo76 Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm by jojo76

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 22

I had an order for a girls 13th birthday - 10" vanilla cake, the brief was "light pink and dark pinks, we'll leave the design totally up to you. shes a girly girl."
Now sometimes I love when people leave the design up to me, sometimes if inspiration doesn't strike, it's a bit of a pian in the backside!!
I have made the cake below. I think it looks as if its missing something, but that could be becasue I have done a lot of cakes lately that have had a lot of personal touches, a lot with figures or lots of flowers, and so on. In fact i think I'm guilty of overdecorating a lot of the time...Do you think I could add anything? I am going to put a hot pink ribbon round the board, but would you add maybe daisies in some of the polka dots with a silver ball centre or would that be totally over the top? I know some of the glitter has gone onto the cake, I am going to tidy this up with a brush and some vodka later...
Please be honest, I can take it lol!
LL
LL
LL

21 replies
jojo76 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 22

oops sorry about the wonky orientation of the second pic. I know ive spelt her name a million ways, but rest assured the one on the cake is the correct spelling! LOL thats what happens when you try to post on cake central AND cook dinner for your kids....

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 22

Well, I'm not very artistically inclined, but I kind of like the look of it. I think a few of the daisies would also be cute, because I'll bet it's safe to assume that a "girly girl" would not object to a little something more!

jojo76 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 22

yeah, the more I look at the pictures I'm leaning towards the daisies....
thanks for looking Cakeythings icon_smile.gif

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 22

i think the cake is cute, very "girly girl", and I love love love the glittery letters!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #6 of 22

I think it is cute just the way it is, but then, I always prefer cakes not overly decorated.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 22

Very cute! The only thought I would suggest is adding a little "something" to the bow - maybe brushing on a little luster dust.

BTW, what did you use to make her name so glittery? Great touch!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:24am
post #8 of 22

I think it looks nice the way you have it. Sometimes it a problem
when we add ''too much''. icon_smile.gif

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:43am
post #9 of 22

I agree that it looks perfect as is - nothing more required. And I would also love to know about your lettering, the glitter on it is absolutely gorge!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #10 of 22

I also like it the way it is. Very nice job icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I would love to know how you did the glitter name too. Awesome! thumbs_up.gif

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:59am
post #11 of 22

I second the motion to add a little luster or something to the bow, although yes, it's very cute the way it is now.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:44am
post #12 of 22

I was thinking a little luster to the bow, the letters pop so, seems like the bow should match.

I like the design though! :] And agree, what did you use on the letters! Maybe use that on the bow?

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:39am
post #13 of 22

Cake looks fine the way it is. The letters look like they were coated with disco dust, am I right?

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #14 of 22

i was thinking maybe adding a strip of "ribbon" over the cake, to make it look gift wrapped? does that make sense? lol

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #15 of 22

I think the cake looks adorable for what I can see!

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #16 of 22

Take it from someone with the same name, it is perfect the way it is. I love it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #17 of 22

I vote to leave it-- it's perfect. LOVE those glittery letters-- disco dust?

jojo76 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:38am
post #18 of 22

Oh thanks everyone!! It has just gone out the door, the customer loved it! In the end I did leave it just as it was, I added a pale pink bow round the board with a darker pink tiny bow in the centre!

The letters, I used the funky letter press things, and then brushed them with glitter glue, and shook the disco dust all over them! I have disco dust everywhere now.....

thanks for all the kind comments about the cake!
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jojo76 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:40am
post #19 of 22

not glitter glue, lol, sugar glue!
(imagined a collective gasp from CCers as they read that then!!)

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:27pm
post #20 of 22

Whew!!! I did think-- oh no! I hope that's a product I haven't heard of!! icon_smile.gif

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:39pm
post #21 of 22

Ha! I was actually excited - a new product I hadn't heard of???!!!

jojo76 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #22 of 22

hahaaa I know, even I read it and thought, "WHAAAAAT??!!", and I WROTE it LOL! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%