Making A Specific Pick Up- 80's Model Chevy- Out Of Rkt?

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm by kitty122000

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for a little boy- he is 5. This is the truck he and his dad used to go mudding in, and he wants it for his birthday- So I have to make it as perfect as possible.

I thought about making a huge double layer (and in places triple) sheetcake, cut with a big mudhole in the middle. Then the truck coming out of it, or going in.

I've seen y'all talk about making dump trucks, peterbilts and a few other things, but not just a old chevy mudtruck. LOL

I have a few pics of the truck itsself, but all are of it in action. so no way to make a templete for it from that.

is RKT the way to go? its due the begining of sept, how soon can I make it (if my first one comes out great) and keep it?

The actual cake will be the mud pit, so thats what will be eaten.

has anyone made an 80's model chevy truck they can let me borrow templetes for? is it harder out of RTK? I want to cover in fondant. it will be differnt colors, like one door is red, the rest of the truck is other colors.

3 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 4

bump

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 4

Here's the site Mike McCarey recommends in his car cakes DVD: http://www.the-blueprints.com/frontpage/

Don't know if your specific model is listed, but if so, you can enlarge the template(s) to whatever size you need.

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 4

I recently did a Toyota muddin' truck, buried in the mud. I carved it out of cake, no template, I just eyeballed it. I found covering the cake in ganache, then putting panels of fondant on worked best. I then painted it before smearing it with gananche, "mud". The tires I made out of RKT and fondant.

check out my pics

hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%