Donating A Cake For A Silent Auction?

Decorating By emilykakes Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm by cdgleason

emilykakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 8

A friend of mine recently found out her infant daughter has several heart defects and will need many surgeries throughout her life. Plans are being made for a silent auction to benefit her family. I would really like to help but the only thing I can think of is to somehow donate a cake. What do you think is the best way to do this? I am not a professional so I think I would be more comfortable making a cake and actually having it there at the auction. That way people can actually see what they are bidding for. But I wonder if it would be more profitable for the auction to just have pictures of my cakes available and offer a specific size cake, thus allowing the bidder to pick the design and when they want it? Also, I am allowed to legally donate a cake right?

7 replies
cakegroove Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8

I donated a cake to a fundraising golf outing a few weeks ago for a raffle. I made a dessert cake so that it would be appropriate for anybody that received it.

Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 8

I think you are likely to get higher bids if you show bidders photos of your work, or maybe you can make a dummy cake, than if they were bidding on an actual cake on a table. I would prefer to bid on a cake decorated for me at a date of my choice. Hopefully whoever wins the cake will not want you to do something terribly difficult or above your skill level.
I agree you should state serving amounts (or a similar size to the dummy you have presented if you choose to) and a date by which the cake must be ordered/delivered, 6 months or whatever you are comfortable with.
I can't say if you can legally donate a cake, the US has some complicated laws but I'm sure someone else can help.

flamingobaker Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 8

For a silent auction, you can state what kind of cake they are bidding on. Be as specific as you want.

For example a 9 x 13" 1-layer cake with buttercream decorations only, or a 9" fondant cake with gumpaste flowers. That way you do not have to worry about someone asking for a cake above your skill level.

Definitely have pictures of your work available so they have an idea of what they might be getting.

malene541 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

I did this exact thing recently. I made a large posterboard with photos of some of the cakes I've done before and put a letter in the middle with my name and something saying I would make "any" cake anyone wanted. I felt pretty safe with saying "any" because I live in a very rural area and most people here have no idea what type of cakes can be made.
I also attached an envelope for the winner with more information to contact me and note saying how I really appreciated the donation for the cause. (mine was an 18 month girl with brain cancer)
It turned out that the winner wanted a single "wedding" cake and cupcakes.
I love doing donated cakes. You don't have to worry about the price, getting paid and it just makes you feel good.

julzs71 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 8

I think if you aren't legal then you should offer a cake there.
You could also offer cookie bouquet.

online_annie Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 8

I have created a cake silent before and will be doing so again in about another month. I made a display of various cake styles. Childs birthday, sweet 16 and wedding cake. ( I did this because not everyone is getting married and it showed range of use ).Along with those was an outline of what they were bidding many tiers, max value, etc.. I also included an expiration date as well as the ability to transfer the prize if they wanted to gift it to another person. It went EXTREMELY well! I received many orders from attendees that saw my display but did not win. I'm really looking forward to the next one!

cdgleason Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

I recently donated a cake for a fund raiser at my son's was also a silent aution.
I made a 3 tier dummy cake, just to represent my quality of work/skill... I intentionally made the cake especially large so as to attract attention to my cake in the midst of hundreds of items up for auction.....
I had a nicely written explanation sitting near that cake that stated:
THIS CAKE IS NOT REAL... the person who wins the aution will choose the theme/decorations for a cake, white or chocolate, and the cake will serve @ 30 people, it was autioned off but I never heard back from the 'winner'!!
I STILL have the dummy cake sitting in my basement and... someone PINCHED the cake... presumably to see if it was real!! I didn't think I needed to make a note that read "DO NOT TOUCH"... but I was wrong!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%