Is There A Silver Food Color?

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Oct 2013 , 11:44pm by lindsaypewar

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Cakers!

I have a cake due in a few weeks and I am in the "planning" stage. I have looked at Americolor and Wilton brand for Silver, but cannot find any? Is there such a thing?

If not, how would you recommend I get a silver color.

Thank you,

Michael

10 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Michael,

There really isnt any silver food coloring. But there are two options I use, depending on the project. Luster Dust is the best-its a powder that you add a little vodka or water too, and it becomes paint-like. You can paint it on fondant, royal icing, etc.

Or another option is the spray paint type of food-coloring. Wilton and Duff both have some they sell at Michaels.

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 11

americolor has a silver airbrush color that you can hand paint with that what I use when i need touch of silver.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 11

It's called 'gray' ! icon_lol.gif
Actually having your base color gray and then adding silver luster dust makes it easier to get that shiny silver look. Of course that's on fondant or gum paste.
Good luck!

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you folks!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 11

I love gold and silver on cakes. I use Squires Kitchen, dust food colouring. They have it in silver and my favorite, Metalic lusters classic gold. I can mix it right in or just use it as dust or I can mix with voda and paint. It's a bit on the expense side here in Canada ($9.99 for 7g), but it sure looks pretty. Hope that helps.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 11

I echo Carmijok's recommendation. For silver, I color the fondant/gumpaste a light gray. For gold, I use a golden yellow - with a light hand...not a bright color. Then, I luster dust over that, and it looks pretty close to metal.

iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 11

i found some one ebay.. got gold silver and pearl for under 15 with shipping

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:41am
post #9 of 11

This is what I use. I love it. http://www.fondantsource.com/siedfogl.html

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:42am
post #10 of 11

Should have know it would be blocked. fondant source silver fondant glaze. It costs 2.49. I love this stuff. Especially the pearl glaze.

lindsaypewar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaypewar Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 11

Where did you find this dust in Canada? I'm looking for something to make/paint silver fondant for a cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%