Fence Ideas

Decorating By Crazy4Bay Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm by MacsMom

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 11

I'm still pretty new to cake decorating as I've only been taking classes since June. My husband, who is into German sports cars, wants me to make him a porsche cake for his birthday next month.

Now, making a porsche is beyond my skill at the moment, but I figured I could do a road out of black fondant and put a porsche on it at least. I'd like to do not so much a racetrack, but a patch of country road, akin to a little sports car zipping through the French countryside like LeMans.

What I'm wondering is how I can make a fence along the side of the road. I've seen them made out of pretzel rods, but I'd like it to be a little bit less rustic. Could I cover them with some very thin fondant? I'd appreciate any ideas. I'm also hoping I can figure out how to sculpt a cow or horse before then. I look at these cakes in the galleries and think WOW, I can't wait to get my skills up - some of them place the bar pretty high. Kudos to all of you and your talents!! thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 11

I usually make my fences out of candy melts and a fence mold..... cute, AND you can EAT it !

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 11

ooooh a fence mould? Im loving that Idea, how do you then stick in on the cake, Grama-J?

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 11

if you're looking for an easy option or as a back up plan, you could maybe use curly wurly?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 11

I "glue", with icing, a couple of tooth picks on the back side , and stick them in......If you want a "tan" colored fence, they now have PEANUTBUTTER flavored candy melts...... they are SOOOO good

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 11

I made a garden themed cake (in my pics) and rolled out choc. fondant, cut the top of the slats to they were pointed, made some lines down the slats to simulate wood grain, then painted it. it turned out o.k., do you want the fence standing up? or just on the side of the cake?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo76

ooooh a fence mould? Im loving that Idea, how do you then stick in on the cake, Grama-J?

Ditto! I like the idea of edible, as I try to make as much edible as possible...Where do you get the fence mold?

I have used toothpicks dipped in RI. I think pastillage is a good way to go, but have never tried it!

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 11

The fence mold sounds awesome. I basically want it to look like the car is driving down a country road with pastures on either side. I don't think there's a way I'm going to find a split rail or barbed wire mold, so I think the picket will have to do just fine! Maybe I can do a little work with it to make it look weathered.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 11

Pastillage is brilliant for things like fencing. its really strong and lightweight and great for making posts/walls/doors etc. you can "glue" it together with RI. I use it for making castle turrets etc and its pretty strong stuff and dries really quick. Cut out strips and it will dry in no time. you could even make the ends of each piece of fence into a point and push it literally into the cake. I've made posts out of it before for putting signs on cakes etc. hope this helps

SparkleKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleKat Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 11

I made a fence for the bottom tier of my Toy Story cake using an impression mat by fmm (bark). I am new to cake decorating and it was easy for me to do using 50/50 blend of mmf and gumpaste.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 11

I just roll out fondant mixed with gumpaste (50/50) and cut thick lines for the posts (like mini 2x4's), insert toothpicks to stand upright in cake, then cut thinner pieces for the slats, attaching them to the posts with gumpaste glue. I use a toothpick to create the wood grain pattern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%