How Do You Clean Your Cake Board?

Decorating By zespri Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:06am
post #1 of 12

I'm currently in the middle of a cake, and of course there is icing all over the silver cake board it's sitting on. In the past I have used a wet paper towel and just done my best, but you can always see the streaks, it's never clean looking.

Any tips?

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:15am
post #2 of 12

for a truely professional looking cake, the board should be covered in a layer of icing anyway.
(technically, the cake should be covered on a thin cake board, the same size as the cake, then placeed on the final thicker cake drum. but i cheat aswell!)
so clean off the mess, then cover in fondant - but you can use ri or bc as well.
xx

zespri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:17am
post #3 of 12

ooohhh...... that's tricky! OK, I'll get some cake boards the same size as my cake tin.

This cake is covered in buttercream, and will have a chocolate wrap around it. Are you saying that I should cover the cake board with buttercream?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:22am
post #4 of 12

the cake board shouls be covered in something, it depends what the cake looks like. as the cake is already on the board, id do brown/ chocolate fondant, its easier for me anyway, so i always do a fondant board for a bc cake.
bc could work, might be more difficult to smooth it though, as the cakes already on there. maybe covered with chocolate shavings/ sprinkles?
i have seen people just melting cholate for the board as well.
xx

zespri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:46am
post #5 of 12

thank you brincess_b, I'll make it work next time icon_smile.gif This time I might just wipe it down, and maybe try piping 'happy birthday' on it or something.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:05am
post #6 of 12

If you want to keep the cake board clean, place pieces wax paper around the bottom edge of the cake. (might take several.) Only put them about 1" under the edge. Then ice the cake. Remove the paper and the cake board is still clean. You might need to gently hold a spatula against the edge of cake to keep the icing from pulling off.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:10am
post #7 of 12

is it just me that hates to waste the fondant or BC on the board? LOL I do it sometimes, more now, since I was told on here I should, but it still irks me... LOL

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:13am
post #8 of 12

Sometimes I cover the cake board with a decorative paper and want it to show. So, no - it is not silly to not want to cover the board with fondant.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:36am
post #9 of 12

You dont aways have to cover the board I dont think. Sometimes I do sometimes I dont, depends on the cake. So long as its pretty, I use the silver cake drums and I think you are talking about them too. I have the cake on a double thick board which i gently stick to a larger spare drum with buttercream. I then do my crumb coat and fondant on that one. The using my cake lifter I transfer the fondanted cake to the final board and Bob's your uncle. There is probably an easier way of doing it but hey I've never been one to take the easy route. xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 12

Must be a regional thing because if my boards had icing all over them, people would ask me how come the board was so messy! icon_biggrin.gif

PRactice will eventually elminated the mess on teh boards to start with, but if I ever have to touch up a board, the wet paper towel works fine for me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellescountrycakes

is it just me that hates to waste the fondant or BC on the board? LOL I do it sometimes, more now, since I was told on here I should, but it still irks me... LOL

I wouldn't cover a board in BC, but I use my leftover fondant to cover boards. Just put the fondant scraps into the freezer until you need them. Knead them all together and add coloring...that's why my boards are often a dark color.

zespri Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 12

*shock* are you saying it's OK to freeze fondant and use it later? For regular cake use as well as covering your boards?

If so, that would eliminate SO much waste! For example, I want some black fondant, but don't want to buy a whole pack of chocolate fondant to start it off. If I knew I could freeze it, I'd be happy to do it!! *crosses fingers that you're doing to say it's totally OK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I use my leftover fondant to cover boards. Just put the fondant scraps into the freezer until you need them. Knead them all together and add coloring...that's why my boards are often a dark color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%