Modelling Chocolate Advice Please :-)

Decorating By guylikescake Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm by Dayti

guylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guylikescake Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:05am
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys! icon_smile.gif

I'm needing some help with modelling chocolate for figures.

I tried making them out of fondant - but i do not like the way the seams look. With modelling chocolate - you can really blend everything perfect.

I had a go at making my first m.c last night, I used this:

100g of white chocolate
50g of golden syrup

Living in the UK - I cannot find corn syrup anywhere.

The chocolate actually worked... ish icon_biggrin.gif

Once i had chilled it for a few hours, it was a hard block, i broke some off, and kneaded it - but it became VERY oily. Is this normal???

Also, now the figure has been left for a few hours - he is not set hard, it feels a bit like play-dough - even after being left overnight. You could still bend arms/etc. Is this right? I didnt know if it should have set hard again like real chocolate.

I'm going to have another go at making some today - but just wanted to know if what i made yesterday was right, or i should change my quantities - or even try something other than syrup.

As a total newbie if anyone who has worked with it could tell me what food colors to buy that would really help icon_smile.gif Gels/powder?? Id really like to be able to mix the colour in once the modelling chocolate has been made just knead it in. Also, to be able to paint the finished figure with it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I cannot wait for some help - i almost feel like making another batch now but i better wait and see if what i have done is right lol icon_smile.gif

7 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 8

i will try and help but i am not sure i can be specific on your measurements because, being american, i usually work with cups and ounces, lol. plus i am not sure what golden syrup up.

first, white chocolate has more fat in it than semi-sweet so you need to use less syrup than you would with semi-sweet. i use no more than 1/3 cup to about 16 ounces of white chocolate.

you need to wrap it and age it 24 hours to get the best performance out of it.

if i find fat congealed on the outside when i unwrap, i choose to wipe as much off as i can because it wil give me a more durable clay to work with.

do not overknead. knead until you first see the shine and then stop icon_smile.gif.
overkneading will give you too floppy of chocolate and can make it grainy.

o

drakegore Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 8

sorry, it cut me off before i got to coloring.

if you are trying to acheive a dark color, i suggest starting with semi-sweet or colored candy melts because you will need to add so much color you can affect the consistency of your clay.

if you have candy colors, which are oil based, you can add them when your clay is in melted form.

if you want to use your gel colors (like wilton or americolo) then you have to wait until your clay has firmed up and is ready for kneading. if you add these while melted you run the risk of your chocolate seizing.

hope this all helps!
diane

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 8

drakegore: what recipe do you use?? I will be making a rope out of modeling chocolate to go around a wedding cake. I did some experimenting and my chocolate was waaaayyy soft. Too much syrup??

drakegore Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 8

are you asking about semi-sweet? that is my favorite and i think i use it on everyother cake i make.
i just use plain old nestle semi-sweet chips in a 12 oz. bag and 1/3 cup corn syrup. if it doesn't follow the spoon around the bowl after a bit of stirring, i may add a drop or two more of corn syrup.
if you add to much corn syrup, it is just to soft to use effectively.'
diane

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 8

I don't know if you agree Drakegore but I have found that the modeling chocolate, while it does set, never actualy hardens due to the corn syrup.

drakegore Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

I don't know if you agree Drakegore but I have found that the modeling chocolate, while it does set, never actualy hardens due to the corn syrup.

i agree icon_smile.gif. the only time i find it will harden is if i am doing roses with really, really thin petals. they can get brittle.

diane

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 8

I can't remember who posted it, but someone in the UK suggested using liquid glucose instead of corn syrup if you can't get it. The texture or gloopiness of golden syrup is too thick compared to corn syrup, plus the colour may affect your finished modelling chocolate if you are using white choc. You can get liquid glucose in the baking aisle at the supermarket.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%