My Grey Fondant Looks Purple Help!

Decorating By Creativebakes Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm by Creativebakes

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:22am
post #1 of 9

How can you get grey fondant? I tried to use wilton black but it looks purple! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
alemicayo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alemicayo Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 9

I think it's satin ice that makes a nice black fondant that when mixed with white will give you grey. if you only have the wilton black, you could try mixing in a bit of yellow, which is purple's complimentary color. the opposite colors should neutralize each other out. I've never tried this to get grey, but according to color theory, it should work.

good luck!

Creativebakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #3 of 9

I just made a batch of MMF so I kinda have to make it out of white

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:01am
post #4 of 9

I had the same problem a few months ago! I bought some Americolor and haven't had any problems since! Hope that helps!!!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 9

I recently attended a demonstration with Bronwen Weber. She said if your black looks purple to add green and if it looks green to add purple. Don't know if this would work with grey but I think it would be worth a shot. I would only add a teeny tiny bit at a time. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:36am
post #6 of 9

Here's the "math" of coloring.....

black (or grey) results when "pure" primary colors of red, yellow and blue are mixed together. most colors we use are not "pure", which is why we may end up with a color that is dominantly another shade.

if you're getting purple, then you have too much red and blue ( = purple) so you need to add yellow.

If you're getting green, then you have too much blue and yellow (= green) and need to add some red.

and so on, and so on.

The suggestion above of "if your black looks purple, add green" means you have lots of blue and red, and when adding green, you will actually be adding yellow and (more) blue. So before you add a mixture of colors (like green or orange), do a good evaulation to see if you need to add TWO colors (blue + yellow = green or red + yellow = orange), or if you just need to add one primary color.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:55am
post #7 of 9

Funny my purple always seems to fade to a bluish gray.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:50am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Funny my purple always seems to fade to a bluish gray.

That's the red that is fading out, leaving you with just the blue. We've been dealing with that since the 70's when they took Red Dye #2 off the market.

Creativebakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the help! Yesterday was my sisters shower and the cake came out great. I added yellow to the fondant and it worked! My husband looked at me strange when I told him most replies to my post said to add yellow. I told him, if CC's said add yellow than it must be true. Once we added it to the fondant I told him....I love Cake Central!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%