I Just Cant Do It... And I Have To. Cake From Hell

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 2:53am by Tinabarena

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 9

I have a coach shoe box with a high heel shoe due, sounds easy enough- Well, I made the shoe, but they want it to be cheetah print. The shoe was CUTE done in tan and black. THEN I went to painting the cheetah on it. and I RUINED it.. TOTALY!!

Now I have to make another shoe, I'm doing zebra- its all I can think of, and the woman does have zebra in her bedroom. So she likes it. But I dont think I will EVER get it dry in time...

I am SOOO upset. PLUS, I cant do a transfer to save my life, and the 'coach' is NOT coming out well. I'm doing it in RI, and it just looks awful.

why are the simple cakes SOOO hard?? I did a Star cake with the Texas flag last week and it turned out perfect!! I thought it would be a killer!

I am just about in tears. Its for a friend, so ..... but I just dont know why its NOT working.

8 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 9

I always have the hardest time with the "easiest" no pressure cakes!

Don't be too hard on yourself - I'm sure it will turn out great!!!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 9

It's a Murphy cake! (Murphy's Law) I had one last week. You do cakes for almost 30 years, and about twice a year, you have one come back and bite you in the back side.
1. Take a breath!
2. Make a cup of coffee or tea and regroup.
3. Instead of starting from scratch, is there anyway you can adapt what you have already done?
4. At this point, if you are feeling overwhelmed, maybe it'd be best to stick with what you know.

Since you have already painted the shoe, can you paint it all black and start with a new 'canvas' to paint on? I see tons of black and pink zebra stripes on this website, would that work for you?
Necessity is the mother of invention and a muse to those of us who are creative!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:30am
post #4 of 9

Sending "cake angels" your way.....

I hope it all works out.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:47am
post #5 of 9

Thanks y'all icon_smile.gif

I swear I looked at the pattern and tried to copy it. But I got them too close together. and now there is NO way to get another shoe to dry.

I am not real sure what I am going to do... I could make the sole out of cardboard and cover it, but the heel will be the hard part. the REALLY hard part. cause it will never get hard. LOL

And the sad thing is, I have another cake I have to get done, but havent even started on cause I've been working on this one ALL day...

maybe I should work on the other one and revisit this one late.r

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:54am
post #6 of 9

i agree.. take a break from this cake.. you never know, you might be in the middle of the other cake and all of a sudden your solution will just come to you! icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:15am
post #7 of 9

Awwwwww, poor thing!!! I've been there - more times than I care to count. Sending huge cake hugs!!! I love the idea of painting the existing shoe black and going from there. Alternately, I found that vodka, a paintbrush and lots of Qtips works as a great eraser for food colour mishaps. I like to do the cheetah print out of fondant/gumpaste rolled SUPER thin. Then, you can paint the darker center.

If you decide to redo the shoe - maybe RKT for the heel? Or candy melts, if you have them on hand. As long as it's not an outdoor event, it should be just fine. You could just make a mold out of parchment paper (a skinny cone shape), stand it up in a glass, pour the chocolate in and set in the fridge.

HTH!!! Lots of luck to you!!!!!!

chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 9

THanks!! icon_smile.gif

I just gave up on it. I couldnt fiqure out how to make color show up on it if I painted it black- DUH- didnt think about putting fondant ON top... I was just so exhausted and mad I guess.

I am just going to give it to her as is.

The other cake came out CUTE. MUCH easier than I thought- all the fondant went on smooth, rolled out smooth, it was a dream.

and I was moving the shoebox cake, to take a pic of it this morning to send it- stuck my finger RIGHT through the front of the shoe box... I kid you NOT..

I went and got tissue paper from my present stash and bunched it up in front of it... there was nothing else to do!!

ya know, I took about an hour nap ths morning around 6:30, and actually it came to me to make it out of RKT... WHY didnt I think of that last night?? OR read this then? LOL

I did make 2 other shoes, put them in the oven with the light on, and they just wouldnt dry... PLUS, the one that turned out the best, I forgot to put saran wrap under it on top of the carboard... so the sole stuck to the cardboard! LOL

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #9 of 9

well...if it makes you feel any better...i don't know how to do a shoe like so many of you guys do - it seems insanely hard and I give you props for thinking it is easy! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%