Earl Grey Frosting

Baking By cakepoppindiva

cakepoppindiva Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 1

So a friend of mine asked me to try to help her in fixing the problem with her earl grey frosting recipe. Last time she made it it didnt thicken up and when she put it in the fridge the next day it was stringy (gross!!!)

So i replicated the recipe tonight at home. While it was good it didnt really thicken up to the point where when it was piped it kept its shape. Any ideas? Im thinking maybe the humidity is playing a factor but just curious. Recipe is listed below

1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Pinch of salt
2 bags Earl Grey tea

Whisk the sugar, egg whites, lemon juice and salt by hand in the bowl of a stand mixer. Empty the tea bags and add the loose tea to the bowl, then set the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and whisk until the mixture is hot and the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Transfer the bowl to the stand mixer and beat with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until the mixture holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag, snip the corner and pipe the icing onto the cupcakes.

I followed all the steps though it took a little longer then 2 minutes for the sugar to dissolve and while it looks tasty i was wondering what i could do to give it more body. I ended up putting it on some lemon cupcakes i had left over from a birthday party order. Picture below

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%