What Do You Do To Pass The Time?

Decorating By ChandelierCakeChick Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm by all4cake

ChandelierCakeChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChandelierCakeChick Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 14

Baking cakes takes a looooong time! Besides prepping other items, what do you do to pass the time? Not looking for suggestions, just wanting to hear what others do! I figured it was a nice, calm, non-controversial topic icon_biggrin.gif

As for me, I must have milk chocolate Flipz and a Coke by my side while Gilmore Girl's is playing on my t.v. in the background. I know, I'm a weirdo but it's what gets me through my least favorite part of cake decorating! icon_lol.gif

13 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 14

I bathe kids, feed the cat, fold the laundry, etc. In other words I try to catch up on all the stuff I'm going to ignore once I get to the fun part!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 14

I'm here on CC icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 14

nothing like a good book!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 14

I'm too busy. If I'm working at the rental kitchen then I'm trying to maximize the paid for time there and making flowers or working on another cake while one is baking. If I'm working from home on a family cake there's too much housework and such to be doing to have any down time. Not sure I know what down time really is anymore!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #6 of 14

I'm with ramie, I am always tasking to keep up with my "real" job, caking, my 2 boys and all the housework, laundry, etc

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 14

All of the above.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #8 of 14

i watch 3 of my grandchildren,4 yrs, 19 mon, and 17 mon, if i have to do something with fondant during the day i `ll do it when they nap if they get up before they r supposed to i ll put them by their play table and give them some fondant to play with so no worry if they eat it then i watch them bounce off the walls all afternoon

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:45am
post #9 of 14

I'm usually licking the remains of the cake batter from the bowl!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:56am
post #10 of 14

Surf CC icon_smile.gif

Although now with my Deluxe oven..... I can put LOTS into that at once. Not so much "free" time - LOL

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #11 of 14

I like to watch my Jennifer Dontz DVD's to try learn new techniques, and get inspiration!

AND.... surf the internet for inspirational photos/ information!
my favorite sights for photos are flickr, and of course, cake central!!

often times, I'm cleaning another part of the house, or picking up after my teenage son!!

teaparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teaparty Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:47am
post #12 of 14

Truthfully, I have too many hobbies and not enough time. I generally get up at 6:30 and hop on CC for about 1/2 hour, then it's minding my DD, going to the gym, housework, taking a break at 3 to watch General Hospital and cross stitch, housework, dinner, walk the dogs, bedtime for DD, and finally free time which consists of cake decorating, or watching cake shows, or snuggling up with DH and watching a movie, or occassionally catching up on my scrapbooking.

Wow, just about exhausted typing all this up!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 14

FitTV.
I'm determined to get in shape for that new grandson... he thinks he's an exercise instructor. "Don't stop Maam-maam! HIGHER, FASTER!"

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 14

Every now and then, I'll give myself a mini challenge (means nothing to anyone but me)...make a batch of royal icing (my absolute favorite medium with which to work), pick an item (usually a flower of some sort) and see how many I can make before the cakes are done. I've got a crap load of ri flowers!

Most times though, I clean up the area, piddle, get on CC, piddle...I can't sit still for too long, I'll fall asleep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%