Disaster In The Making...

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm by Kimmers971

Kimmers971 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

I'm working on a 4 tier, ivory fondant covered 50th Anniversary cake for my Aunt & Uncle (it's a surprise party). I'm having a terrible time covering round cakes icon_mad.gif First the fondant was very dry & crumbly (Satin Ice) and I had to knead in alot of shortening. I'm going to contact Satin Fine Foods about it. But my real problem was getting it smooth around the sides - I never have this problem icon_cry.gif I'm glad I have decorations yet to put on that I hope cover the major flaws and the ribbon on the bottom should take care of that part of the mess. I just want this cake to look perfect for Saturday icon_redface.gif

4 replies
JenniferMI Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 5

This is my own opinion....I don't think Satin Ice has a consistent product from batch to batch. icon_sad.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Kellbella Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 5
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

This is my own opinion....I don't think has a consistent product from batch to batch. icon_sad.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

I agree and it has a funky taste to it too! I actually love Fondx and JenniferMI's white choc fondant recipe...sometimes I mix the two!

catlharper Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 5

Just a quick tip...are you elevating the rounds up onto something slightly smaller for covering? What that does is to let the fondant drape down past the bottom of the cake so you can trim it off evenly and not get the folds on the bottom edge of the cake. I use a one size smaller cake pan to do this. Hope this helps!

Kimmers971 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 5

I cover it elevated on my turntable - usually works. This is my first problem with SI, I've used the white and various colors before just not ivory. I've contacted them by e-mail to look into it further.

Just now I get an e-mail from home telling me one of the cakes "split" but I don't know how or what the damage really is. They were just sitting in boxes on the kitchen table (a/c was on). Good thing I'm leaving work early today to finish this cake because it sounds like I'll be rebaking one tier. UGH! icon_mad.gif

No matter what this cake has to be finished by tomorrow mid-morning and it's for a family party so it has to look nice - it's my gift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%