Best Recipe For Cut Out Cookies

Baking By bekka_74403 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm by susieqhomemaker

bekka_74403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekka_74403 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 10

is there a trick or recipe that is better for making cut out sugar cookies... seems like mine either don't keep their shape or don't stay "flat"

9 replies
allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekka_74403

is there a trick or recipe that is better for making cut out sugar cookies... seems like mine either don't keep their shape or don't stay "flat"

hi there have you tried the nfsc recipe from the forums on here. I used it for all my friend's wedding favours and they were perfect and they were designs like shoes too. I found that over cooking cookies made them spread. The dough needs to be really chilled too - best over night and put on a cool tray not one that is at all warm. I find it best to roll, cut and put on trays then put them back in the fridge until ready for oven. hope this helps. there is a link to the recipe on this forum and has all the hints and tips on it too.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 10

I also have used the NFSC with great success. I've tried other supposedly failproof no-spread recipes and I always go back to the NFSC.

I also make it, roll it out, chill, cut, bake. You can add different flavorings to make it taste really good.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 10
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 10

Hi,

There are several really great cut-out cookie recipes that you can find on the internet, and even a few great ones here on CC in the recipe section. I have tried about 4, but I prefer the NFSC recipe (no-fail sugar cookie) for my regualr vanilla cookie base (I do reduce the baking powder and add extra vanilla), but you really do need to try a few and decide for yourself which you prefer.

The ones that I see most commonly talked about/suggested here on CC include the NFSC recipe, KHalstead's modified NFSC recipe, and Penny's cookie recipe. All three are on CC in the recipe section. Here are links to them...

cookie recipes
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2055/no-fail-sugar-cookies
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3993/pennys-cookies
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15218/khalsteads-modified-nfsc

I haven't tried KHalstead's recipe, but both Penny's and the NF keep their shape well for me. I agree with previous posters about keeping the dough well chilled before putting it in the oven. I roll my dough between sheets of wax paper right after I make it, then chill the "flats" for a few hours, or even overnight. When my cookies first come out of the oven, I gently "rub" a flat metal spatula in circular motions over the top, to help flatten any air "Bumps" that may have formed during baking. That way, I have a perfectly flat surface for decorating every time.

have fun!!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

I haven't tried KHalstead's recipe, but both Penny's and the NF keep their shape well for me.

I tried KHalstead's recipe, I loved the taste but they spread into completely unrecognizable shapes for me, even with freezing the unbaked shaped beforehand. I really like the white chocolate cutout recipe from Karen's cookies for something different from your basic sugar cookie.
http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Recipes_ep_68-1.html#recipe04

If you're interested in a chocolate cutout cookie, I use this recipe from smittenkitchen ALL the time and people really like them (I don't like chocolate so I can't speak for myself):
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/04/brownie-roll-out-cookies/

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 10

I tried that recipe from smittenkitchen... Was okay, but I was expecting more based on all the reviews. I use KHalstead's modified recipe with white chocolate pudding. Yummy! And it holds the shape for me. I freeze mines before baking. Good luck!

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 10

I just tried the NFSC for the first time today and they were awesome! I mixed the dough last night, rested in the fridge overnight. Rolled this a.m. while still cool. Put my shapes into the freezer for about an hour then baked.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 10

I use the recipe in the wilton yearbook. Works great for me.

If you have a lot of spreading when you are baking, make sure your oven temp in high enough. Also, make sure if using margarine that you are using a full fat version. If you use a light, spread type margarine then you will have problems because of too much water in the product. Best to use butter IMO

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 10

Just wanted to chime in that I also love the NFSC recipe found on here. I used it this past weekend, and it worked wonderfully. I loved the suggestion at the end of recipe saying to roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper (I only had wax paper on hand). It made life so much easier rolling out the dough that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%