Red And Black Mff Fondant

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 10:17am by chellescountrycakes

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 9

I need red and black fondant for cakes this weekend. I was thinking of just buying Duffs but I wanted to try MFF too. How hard is it to reach these colors with this fondant? I was thinking I can add chocolate to the make the black but the cake for that is going to be Keylime with lemon filling so the chocolate wont really go.

Also I read not to use gel colors for the MFF due to the glycerin (?) in them what type of colors should I use instead.

Thankyou

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

I need red and black fondant for cakes this weekend. I was thinking of just buying Duffs but I wanted to try MFF too. How hard is it to reach these colors with this fondant? I was thinking I can add chocolate to the make the black but the cake for that is going to be Keylime with lemon filling so the chocolate wont really go.

Also I read not to use gel colors for the MFF due to the glycerin (?) in them what type of colors should I use instead.

Thankyou

If you can get powdered color it works the best. I use MFF exclusively and I do use gel colors for colors for tinting lighter shades. For the darker colors like black and red I recommend the powdered colors.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 9

I wish this was more help but I wouldn't try to achieve red or black on your own. It is really hard to get dark colors from a base of white fondant (MMF or commercial). I've made black MMF one time and it was sooooooo sticky from the dye that it was almost impossible to use.

I don't have problem using AmeriColor gels in either MMF or commercial fondant (I use Satin Ice) but only for light to medium colors.

When I need dark colors, I but the pre-colored Satin Ice from a local bakery. It is cheaper than Duff's and she will sell buy the pound so I only get what I need. You might look up bakers or bakery suppliers in your area.

Good luck.

Kristy

mindy1204 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 9

Yeah i cant get powdered colors anywhere around me and it is to late to order them. I need white too so I will make a batch but prob break down and buy black and red

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Yeah i cant get powdered colors anywhere around me and it is to late to order them. I need white too so I will make a batch but prob break down and buy black and red

Honestly...that's what I would do.

mindy1204 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you I will just buy it. I need white and sage green as well so I will make atleast one batch

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 9

Those are 2 of the most difficult colors to make, IMHO. I've tried black fondant w/ a chocolate fondant base several times but it ended up either too dry or too sticky. I almost prefer to airbrush it black or red, except for the messy complication of sneezing either color for the rest of the day icon_biggrin.gif
I needed black fondant for a Spiderman cake for my nephew this w/e and bought a small tub of Duff's... it's actually pretty good-tasting: vanilla-y
If anyone has a good chocolate/black fondant recipe I'd love to give it a whirl for the next go-round!

Melanie Mc.

beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #8 of 9

I agree with everyone else. Order those 2 colors. They are too difficult to make. Blue is also one of those colors that I order. Good luck.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:17am
post #9 of 9

I make mine, the only time I have issues with it being too hard to use is if I dont put the color in while I am actually making it, but I use MMF not MFF.

I made red and blue for a Texas flag last week and both were perfect, and very easy to use. matter of fact it was almost scary how nice they were to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%