Please Answer This Question About Flavoring A Cake

Baking By superfly Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 5:30am by scp1127

superfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superfly Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 7

I'd like to make some changes to a white vanilla cake recipe, could I substitute vanilla bean seeds for the vanilla extract in the cake recipe and also add raspberry flavor (loranne raspberry oill) to make a "Vanilla bean raspberry" flavor cake? How much raspberry oil would I add to acheive a noticable light raspberry flavor in the cake? Thanks everyone

6 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 7

I don't see why not. Are you using the vanilla bean paste? I've never used it, but I know you can use it instead of extract, I just don't know if it's a 1:1 exchange. As for the Lorann Oils, just add a couple of drops and taste the batter until you get the flavour you're looking for.

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't used the oil before but when i make vanilla bean cake i use the seeds from one whole bean plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. I use raspberry puree (strained) to make raspberry cake. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

I think that the raspberry flavor would overpower the vanilla flavor IMHO

superfly Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 7

hollyberry91 how does your cake turn out with the raspberry puree? Do you make the puree yourself? And you use both the vanilla extract and the seeds aswell, didn't think of that.

Yes I had intended to use a vanilla bean pod seeds to add to the cake

superfly Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 7

hollyberry91 how does your cake turn out with the raspberry puree? Do you make the puree yourself? And you use both the vanilla extract and the seeds aswell, didn't think of that.

Yes I had intended to use a vanilla bean pod seeds to add to the cake

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 7

Vanilla bean paste is on of the best ingredients I have found lately. I still have to taste the batter to sub for beans or extract. It is cheaper than good quality beans and it doesn't seem to "cook out" like extract. It doesn't have the bitter taste of extract. My kids ask me what tastes different about my old recipes and it is only the paste. They can actually taste the difference! The jar gives subs but I do slightly less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%