Mirror Mirror Where Can I Find You?

Decorating By circus Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm by RoseCitySugarcraft

circus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
circus Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know where I can get mirror cake plates/stands? I have a bride who wants a mirror under every layer of her cake, but it's a square cake. Or are there any ideas on what to use to create a similar mirror like effect between the layers?

7 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 8

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/15302600
\\
I posted these mirrors from Ikea. They are 4 in a set but just thought that maybe you would want them in different sizes right? have you tried buying a large mirror and taking it to get cut to exactly the size you want?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know if they have improved over the years, but the last time I tried mirrors from IKEA, they were very thin and very fragile. In fact, I had to return the ones I got 3 times because they would break before I could even get home. I finally had to forget using them. You may need a heavier glass or you could make your own using plexiglass and the peel and stick mirror stuff from Home Depot. It's tricky to work with though. (It's the stuff they promote to use on your home windows to reflect sun away, but allows you to still look out without interference - we actually made a bottomless pit for Halloween using this method.)

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 8

I have used scrapbook paper that has a mirrored effect on it. I used it on my steampunk cake in my pictures on the bottom tier. I don't know if it would work in the situation, but it could be an option if you can't find square mirrors.

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 8

You can buy mirror tiles at stores like lowes and home depot. I wonder if they would work for you. They can be cut.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 8

I buy them at lowes. icon_smile.gif

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 8

they also sell them at hobby lobby

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 8

Google for your nearest florist supply shop, or perhaps a party/event supply place. They usually have lots of options!
HTH,
Scott

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%