Cream Cheese Icing That Doesn't Need Refrigeration?

Baking By cattycornercakes Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm by cakemaker2

cattycornercakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 6

I generally use this recipe to make key lime cream cheese icing for my margarita cupcakes:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
8 ounces cream cheese softened
2 tablespoons key lime juice
1 teaspoon key lime zest or lemon zest
4-5 cups confectioners' sugar

Next week, I need to make a batch with icing that doesn't require refrigeration. I know I've seen a cream cheese icing recipe on here somewhere that doesn't require refrigeration. Does anyone have that?

5 replies
keystone Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 6

The recipe I use is from Earlene Moore - it is on her website. I think it is 3 1/2 oz. cream cheese, 7 oz shortening, 1/3 cup water, 2# confectioners sugar and flavoring.

LindaF144a Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 6

Your recipe should be okay. It has 4-5 cups of sugar and that is enough to act as a preservative. I made cupcakes for a picnic on a hot July day. They stayed out for hours outside and some inside on the counter. They were fine. I no longer worry about putting a cream cheese iceing in the fridge.

Someone else mentioned on here how you don't need to put it in the fridge. I think if you search for cream cheese icing here in CC. I remember the conversation from about mid-July.

LindaF144a Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 6

Your recipe should be okay. It has 4-5 cups of sugar and that is enough to act as a preservative. I made cupcakes for a picnic on a hot July day. They stayed out for hours outside and some inside on the counter. They were fine. I no longer worry about putting a cream cheese iceing in the fridge.

Someone else mentioned on here how you don't need to put it in the fridge. I think if you search for cream cheese icing here in CC. I remember the conversation from about mid-July.

cattycornercakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

thanks guys!

cakemaker2 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry this is getting to you late, but perhaps you can use on your next project.
Sturdy whipped cream frosting

1 (8oz) pkg reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 Cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Cups heavy cream

Combine cream cheese, sugar and extracts in mixer bowl.
Fit mixer with whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth.
While mixer is still running, slowly add whipping cream. Beat until stiff peaks form.
You can frost or fill cakes with this and not refrigerate for 2 days. I tested it at home, before I made a cake for someone. It holds up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%