What Is The Shelf Life Of Indydebi's Bc?

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 12:10am by kansaslaura

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 12

I made a BIG batch of IndyDebi's BC on 7/31. It has been in a sealed container at room temp since then. I've used it for cupcake and it looks/tastes fine.

Just wondering how long it will last? I have 2 big cakes for 8/20 & 8/21. I was hoping to use it for all the batches of accent color that they will need.

TIA

Kristy

11 replies
cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 12

I've used it 3 weeks later, but I kept it refrigerated. Maybe she'll see this and chime in...

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 12

I am impressed that you can keep it that long, my kids would have found it and finished it by now!

If you are worried, I am pretty sure you can freeze it. I have not actually done it with hers (even though it is the recipe I now use), but have tried it in the past when I was still using the Wilton student recipe and it worked fine. It is a good way to keep leftover colored bc.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 12

I've seen Indy post that it sits out on her counter until it's gone. I think she's said for a week, but don't quote me. Crisco based frosting is very stable, and sugar is a natural preservative.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 12

You can freeze it definitely! I would, just rewhip after it comes back to room temp!

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 12

I was hoping to avoid freezing it. I need it next Th/Fri and planned to get all the color mixing done early in the week. I have 2 big cakes and I'm trying to schedule all the work so that I don't make myself too nutty.

The commercial BC I get at the bakery is stable at room temp for what seems like FOREVER (months, not weeks).

hmmmmm???? fridge??? freezer???? leave it out????

Kristy

StacyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyR Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 12

I have some in an airtight container on my counter that was made 7/30. It is still perfectly good in taste and consistency. Hope that helps!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 12

I am glad that I read this post because I am always afraid to leave it out for fear of spoiling. If I have leftovers, typically I freeze them unless I plan on using them within the week and then I will just pop it in the frig. Thanks!!

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyR

I have some in an airtight container on my counter that was made 7/30. It is still perfectly good in taste and consistency. Hope that helps!

Mine still tastes great & has a good texture/consistency. No breakdown or oily sheen.

I think I'll pop it in the fridge until I need to get the colors set up Tues/Wed next week.

K

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

I am impressed that you can keep it that long, my kids would have found it and finished it by now!

My daughter has been trying to get into it. I let a friend of my son's have a big spoon of frosting when the other kids had cupcakes (soooooo tired of the kid licking off the frosting & tossing a perfectly good cupcake )

Now the DD thinks I will just hand out spoonfulls of frosting "for dessert". Nope sorry.

K

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 12

I have kept it for two weeks or better at room temperature. I do believe that Indydebi has said the same. I just give it a good 'stirring' before using. I don't ever refrigerate it.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

My daughter has been trying to get into it. I let a friend of my son's have a big spoon of frosting when the other kids had cupcakes (soooooo tired of the kid licking off the frosting & tossing a perfectly good cupcake )

Now the DD thinks I will just hand out spoonfulls of frosting "for dessert". Nope sorry.

K

Hey--if they're tossing the cake, why not?? Or smear a little on a graham cracker, top with another and viola, a *sorta* healthy version of a sandwich cookie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%