What Is The Shelf Life Of Indydebi's Bc?

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 12:10am by kansaslaura

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 12

I made a BIG batch of IndyDebi's BC on 7/31. It has been in a sealed container at room temp since then. I've used it for cupcake and it looks/tastes fine.

Just wondering how long it will last? I have 2 big cakes for 8/20 & 8/21. I was hoping to use it for all the batches of accent color that they will need.

TIA

Kristy

11 replies
cakemama2010 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 12

I've used it 3 weeks later, but I kept it refrigerated. Maybe she'll see this and chime in...

deMuralist Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 12

I am impressed that you can keep it that long, my kids would have found it and finished it by now!

If you are worried, I am pretty sure you can freeze it. I have not actually done it with hers (even though it is the recipe I now use), but have tried it in the past when I was still using the Wilton student recipe and it worked fine. It is a good way to keep leftover colored bc.

kansaslaura Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 12

I've seen Indy post that it sits out on her counter until it's gone. I think she's said for a week, but don't quote me. Crisco based frosting is very stable, and sugar is a natural preservative.

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 12

You can freeze it definitely! I would, just rewhip after it comes back to room temp!

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 12

I was hoping to avoid freezing it. I need it next Th/Fri and planned to get all the color mixing done early in the week. I have 2 big cakes and I'm trying to schedule all the work so that I don't make myself too nutty.

The commercial BC I get at the bakery is stable at room temp for what seems like FOREVER (months, not weeks).

hmmmmm???? fridge??? freezer???? leave it out????

Kristy

StacyR Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 12

I have some in an airtight container on my counter that was made 7/30. It is still perfectly good in taste and consistency. Hope that helps!

Tiffany0481 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 12

I am glad that I read this post because I am always afraid to leave it out for fear of spoiling. If I have leftovers, typically I freeze them unless I plan on using them within the week and then I will just pop it in the frig. Thanks!!

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyR

I have some in an airtight container on my counter that was made 7/30. It is still perfectly good in taste and consistency. Hope that helps!

Mine still tastes great & has a good texture/consistency. No breakdown or oily sheen.

I think I'll pop it in the fridge until I need to get the colors set up Tues/Wed next week.

K

KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

I am impressed that you can keep it that long, my kids would have found it and finished it by now!

My daughter has been trying to get into it. I let a friend of my son's have a big spoon of frosting when the other kids had cupcakes (soooooo tired of the kid licking off the frosting & tossing a perfectly good cupcake )

Now the DD thinks I will just hand out spoonfulls of frosting "for dessert". Nope sorry.

K

mamawrobin Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 12

I have kept it for two weeks or better at room temperature. I do believe that Indydebi has said the same. I just give it a good 'stirring' before using. I don't ever refrigerate it.

kansaslaura Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

My daughter has been trying to get into it. I let a friend of my son's have a big spoon of frosting when the other kids had cupcakes (soooooo tired of the kid licking off the frosting & tossing a perfectly good cupcake )

Now the DD thinks I will just hand out spoonfulls of frosting "for dessert". Nope sorry.

K

Hey--if they're tossing the cake, why not?? Or smear a little on a graham cracker, top with another and viola, a *sorta* healthy version of a sandwich cookie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%