Sps Question #23642738

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm by hsmomma

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif A quick question with possibly a very simple answer.

I'm doign a wedding cake for a friend in Sept and originally she wanted a ribbon broder around all the tiers. Fine I figured I'd put it on at teh venue to cover the little gap I end up with becasue of the SPS plate and cake board.

Yeah not going to work now since she's changed the design and new design doesn't have the same kind of border (it actually doesn't have any just ribbons wrapped randonly around the cake). How do I avoid being able to see the plate? Can I avoid it? (she may get the ribbon border anyway!)

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 4

I use sps all the time. Best way to do it is use to the 9" pillars that you can cut down to size (or trim or fill your cake so it is the height of the 4" pillars. If using the 9" pillars... cut them shorter so when the plate and pillars are pushed in it is flush with the top of your cake. There shouldn't be any space between your cake and plate. Use an 1" smaller plate than your cake. That way no plate shows. Make sure to cut your cardboard that your cake is one flush with the sides of your cake too. That way there is absolutely no gap between tiers.

Hope that all makes sense. Good luck~

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 4

Hmm I never thought about using a smaller plate than cake size. That could eliminate the problem. I did make sure my cake was 4" tall so maybe gap wasn't the right word to use but there very definitely was a visible plate.

Off to check out the plate sizes I'll need instead then icon_smile.gif I guess for the top tier I'd just use a cake board since it's a 6' tier?

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah, you definitely can use a cake board instead of the 6" plate. I wish they would start making 5" plates...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%