Need Help With Beer Mug Cake

Decorating By brensmom12 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm by Chasey

brensmom12 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 2

I plan on making a beer mug cake for a 30th birthday party this weekend and need help. I plan on making 4 8" rounds and a 6" round (for cascading the "foam"). All buttercream. I will have the top 2 layers on a plate and dowel under and one through all layers. I am also thinking on trying to do the beer pouring in with my center dowel. Handle made of gum paste attached with lollipop sticks.
My questions are...
What color should I use for the beer (Wilton golden yellow was my instinct)?
What tip to use for the foam (12 or 21)

Any other advice is welcomed! icon_biggrin.gif

Catherine

1 reply
Chasey Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 2

I made one for my DH's 40th birthday and used Wilton's Golden yellow and my all butter icing recipe. The white suds were super easy to do and I *think* I used a 12 and just let it build up. I was able to create a dome without needing another smaller round on top.

I used four 6 inch rounds with a cardboard circle exactly in the middle. However, I completely forgot to put straws in that bottom layer! DUH! It was midnight when I was finishing it and all I could think of was cleaning up and going to bed. icon_biggrin.gif (I work full time in a hospital.) Glad I took pics when I was finished because the next morning the beer mug was drunk.

I made a gumpaste handle and used toothpicks dried in there to secure it to the mug. However, the 100% gumpaste handle was waaay too heavy for those toothpicks and it pulled out about 10 mins after attaching it. *sigh* Did I mention it was midnight? icon_lol.gif

This is the one I was modeling mine after (by EmilyGrace):
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1170781

She used her angled spatula to create the mug look. That was easy to do!

I hope that lollipop sticks are long enough, but maybe you could use some bamboo skewers instead for added length to gain more support for your handle.

Are you microwaving some hard candy? Just color that a little and use a can instead of a bottle and you should be golden!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%