Quick! Need Help With Covering Odd Shape In Fondant!

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 7

I hope someone can advise me here. I am covering an atv cake with fondant and I can't decide if I should try and go with one piece or use panels. (See pic below of crumb coated atv). Panels never look as neat as i want them too so I'm scared it will look messy. But the crevices between the seats are so deep I'm afraid I will tear the fondant. What are your thoughts?
LL

6 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

I'd go with panels. but I cant cover a 6-7 inch tall 10 inch square cake (like in my profle pic) in one peice, I do it in 4 sections, then hide it with the ribbon.... LOL Yes, I SUCK at covering...

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 7

I would do it in one piece. Instead of picking up the fondant and laying it over, make sure to roll your fondant onto your rolling pin (lots of ps or cornstarch sprinkled on top). When unrolling, do it slowly, making sure that you let the fondant settle into the valleys. There will be a lot of folds to work out of the sides, but it would be worth the time. Make sure to remove any excess from the bottom edges before smoothing the sides - this will prevent the weight from pulling and tearing while you're working your way around the cake. HTH! Lots of luck!!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 7

I would use one piece to cover, but I would lift the entire beet of fondant and have somebody help hold it on the rollig pin while ou slowly lower itonto the cake. I would start at one side and pay it down progressively to abod tearing the fondant little by little. My cakes are often shaped strangely and that's how I like to do it, it seems to work prettywell. Hth!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 7

Haha detailsbydawn, jinx! icon_smile.gif

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Haha detailsbydawn, jinx! icon_smile.gif

LOL! icon_lol.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for your replies! I think I am leaning toward one piece. Detailsbydawn and emiyeric, I'm glad you confirmed what was in my head. I was thinking I would have to lay the fondant down slowly so I could push it down into the valleys. Frankly I'd rather do that than try to cut panels to the right size and then hide the seams. My panels are always messy looking and some cakes lend themselves to having the seams covered but this one won't in all places. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally out in left field if I tried to cover it in one piece!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%