My Layered Cakes Alway Seem To Bow Out Of The Side...

Decorating By pbgwilliams Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm by JaeRodriguez

pbgwilliams Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

So I have put a filling and frosting in between the layers and I crum coated and froze it. Then I frosted it with buttercream. It has to sit out in room temp for a day before the event, while this happens it seems to settle sometimes cracks and between the layers bows out. How do you prevent this from happening?? I would LOVE some suggestions. Thank you in advanced.

4 replies
SPCC Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 5

I would say wait to freeze it or don't freeze at all after you crumb coat it. You need to wait for it to settle.

pbgwilliams Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 5

How long would you wait for it to settle? A day? That is probably my problem. I always crum coat it and with in a few hours frost it. Bummer!!!

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 5

Like SPCC said, the cake needs to settle. I would fill and crumb coat the cake. Stick it in the fridge for a little bit to set up. Then let the cake settle before final frosting. Leahs suggests putting a heavy tile (or I use a book) on top to help this process along. Also, VERY IMPORTANT, do not overfill your cake.

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 5

I never fridge or freeze, it always causes bulges, but I'm down in the "armpit of the south", it's very humid, which might be the culprit!

I let it sit out to settle overnight too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%