Should I Do This?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm by leah_s

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 3

I'm a newbie hobbyist since April. I've baked MANY cakes during my life, but only started DOING cakes since April - there's a huge difference between baking 2 layer cakes (all from scratch) for just eating, versus baking for decorating cakes. But, you all know that.

The largest cake I've done to date is an 8" 2 layer stacked w/ a 6" 2 layer. I followed directions for stacking, and it went well.

I just received a request for a cake for a 90th birthday party that will feed 100 people! I'm in a panic. Is that too large an undertaking for a newbie like me? Should I consider it or not? I have a set of 4 round pans from either Fat Daddio or Magic Line (can't remember), the same set in square pans, and a 10 x 15 x 2 pan. Plus some Wilton 8" pans and 6" round pans. The rounds and squares are all also 2" deep. Looking for thoughts from you experienced people as to whether or not I should do this cake. I know you don't KNOW if I can do it, but looking for your experienced thoughts on it. Thanks.

2 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 3

There are a couple of sites you can visit for learning to translate a cake serving into a pan size.
Yes, Wilton is one and the other I posted was blocked.
As for can you do it? I dunno. Try and see.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 3

6/9/12 = 102 servings.

Only you can say if you can do it or not.

And since you've been around here a while, I'm assuming you've got all the legalities of selling (if this cake is going to be sold rather than a gift) taken care of first?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%