White Buttercream On Chocolate Cake.

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm by carmijok

sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 14

I did a chocolate cake with bc icing and I had to keep putting bc on it because I could see the chocolate through the icing grrrr..... when I delivered it and stood back to look at it , I could still see through the icing ! How do you prevent this ?

Thank you, Lisa

13 replies
dreamcakesmom Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 14

I find doing a crumb coat and then a generous finish coat always does the trick. Maybe you just needed a thicker coat

sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 14

Maybe so icon_smile.gif I had put icing all the way to the end of my cake circle though . I dont know ,maybe my icing was too thin icon_sad.gif ?

HPChick33 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 14

What she said ^^^^.

I crumcoat and chill for about 20 minutes. Then I add a thick layer of white BC. A nice, firm crumcoat will also give you the perfect surface to attain that flawless finish!

sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you icon_smile.gif I'll try a thicker crumb coat next time forsure icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 14

what size was the cake? Silly question, I know, but I can ice a 12" or 16" round chocolate cake with no problems, but make me do a 6" cake and it just looks polka-dotted from all of the choc crumbs peaking thru! dunce.gif

sweetnessx3 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 14

It was a 6,8 and 10 and your right top 2 layers where awful! Wonder what the difference is ?

cutthecake Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #8 of 14

To me, it's sacrilegious to put white/vanilla frosting on chocolate cake. THAT must be the reason for the chocolate showing through.

sweetnessx3 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:33am
post #9 of 14

LMBO! I agree Cutthecake !

carmijok Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #10 of 14

I layer my frosting on in thinner layers. First I crumb coat, chill...then 1st layer of BC, chill, and 2nd layer, chill and keep doing it until you see no cake. I cover chocolate all the time. The bakery I worked for iced cakes this way and it made it very smooth and well covered. It's also good for when you have to add a color like red or black or dark blue and don't want everyone's teeth to turn colors. I just layer the colored BC in the last layer or two. The majority of frosting then is plain buttercream.

mbark Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:24am
post #11 of 14

chocolate cake with white bc icing is one of my favorites!

question on this method though, when you do the crumb coat & refridgerate, then take it out & ice the final coat, I have found that the condensation lasts forever and I cannot get the bc to crust to use the viva towel method. Am I doing something wrong?

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

question on this method though, when you do the crumb coat & refridgerate, then take it out & ice the final coat, I have found that the condensation lasts forever and I cannot get the bc to crust to use the viva towel method. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes. Stop refrigerating your cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, seriously, icon_redface.gif unless you have a perishable filling, there is no need to refrigerate a cake between icings. Or in my ever-so-never-humble-opinion, anytime at all. I never refrigerate my cakes.

mbark Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:06am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Yes. Stop refrigerating your cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, seriously, icon_redface.gif unless you have a perishable filling, there is no need to refrigerate a cake between icings. Or in my ever-so-never-humble-opinion, anytime at all. I never refrigerate my cakes.

I DON'T typically refrigerate my cakes but was just looking for other methods to get that perfectly smooth, no-cake-showing-through icing job

carmijok Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:

When do you have condensation? If you chill it and ice while chilled there should be none. I don't put just one layer on after crumb coating....generally it takes several...with chliling between layers. I don't have a problem with condensation and my buttercream crusts just great. I don't use the Viva towel method. I use the hot knife method to smooth--and a little 'squeegee' that I run around the sides.

I also use a buttercream recipe that uses only real butter. No Crisco. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. After my final coat and smoothing I let it chill again before adding the decor. Then I keep the cake cold until delivery. I've delivered cakes that have stayed out for hours and there has been no problem with condensation or melting or fondant decor problems. Like I said, I learned this technique at a bakery and they never had any problems either. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%