Smbc / Imbc.....questions!!!

Baking By cmom Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm by cmom

cmom Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I made the Welldressed Cake SMBC for the 1st time yesterday and it wasn't what I expected.....I guess. So it ended up nice and smooth and silky and very buttery tasting like I assume it is supposed to be. I wasn't going to need it till later so I refrigerated it. I got it out later to frost with and when I was ready it was still cold and really stiff. (This is where I made my mistake) So I decided I would rebeat it to soften it up and was shocked at my results. It all separated, I guess that is how Iwould decribe it, and it DEFLATED! So determined not to waste all the eggs and butter I changed out my paddle beater to the whisk and whisked the heck out of it!It finally came back but not quite as silky as the 1st time. And now, to me, it has lost a lot of the buttery flavor and tastes like whipped cream. I AM VERY CONFUSED. It is tasty but also seems to light to hold up to the very chocolatey cupcake I made.
ALSO, what is the difference between SMBC and IMBC?? Do the cupcakes need to be refrigerated with all those eggwhites? (I hope not because mine aren't)
My family says it is delicious but I am just not sold on it. I think I have a much bigger sweettooth and love the sweetness of regular bc.
Please enlighten me!!!

5 replies
addietx Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 6

BC is too sweet but SM is not sweet enough. My husband says SM tastes like sweet butter and actually put some on toast. I love the texture of SM but needing to be refrigerated is out of the question for larger orders. I have all the above questions as well. Please enlighten me also.

dreamcakesmom Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 6

There's a lot of questions in there so I'll do my best to help with some of it. TYpically when I chill my SMBC I allow time to thaw it at room temp before I rewhip it and I always use a whisk to refluff it. First for several minutes at high speed then I kick it down to low speed for a few minutes to take out some of the air bubbles. I do also notice a difference in texture between the original making of it and when I have to "bring it back to life". I have not noticed a difference in flavor so I can't speak to that. I don;t know the specific ratios you used to make your SMBC but sometimes you can cut back on the butter and it makes for a sweeter icing. Different recipes call for varying ratios of butter to the meringue and that will definitely affect the sweetness. I find a SMBC to be less sweet in general than the american buttercreams so maybe this isn;t your personal taste. IMBC is made by making a simple syrup heating to a certain temperature and then adding in slowly to the whipped meringues. I believe it is more stable than the SMBC but as far as taste it is similiar to the SMBC.

LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 6

Like Dreamscakesmom said you definitely need to let it come to room temp before you do anything with it. I usually take it out and let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours. but that is where we differ, I have not had the need to rebeat or whip mine. And it always has the same taste and consistency as when I used it prior. I never keep my extra longer than 2 weeks and I don't freeze it either. That may be the reason why.

And if you are going to use it the same day, unless you have no AC in your house I wouldn't fridge it. After I frost my cupcakes I leave them in a container on the counter. They usually do no last longer than three days here, so it's not like I leave them for a long period of time.

aswartzw Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 6

First, you did make sure to use unsalted butter, right?

Also, if I'm using my BC within 24 hours of making it, it does not go in the fridge.

Secondly, after I ice my cakes in it and finish decorating, I do put it in the fridge. Just give it 1 hour (cake) or maybe 30 minutes for cupcakes to warm up so it tastes less like butter.

Also, the PP is right on IMBC vs. SMBC. The only difference is the cooking method and IMBC is a bit more stable.

Also, you did good to rewhip it. Anytime you refrigerate it and want to use it, you have to rewhip it and it will fall. Just keep rewhipping (which you did). thumbs_up.gif

cmom Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 6

Most helpful!Thank you!
Yes aswartzw, I did use unsalted butter. I am not even sure why I orginally put it in the fridge. It just seemed like it needed to be a little cooler for taste. Who knows. Glad to hear they are still safe to eat! There is so much experimentation in baking. I wish I had a whole day just to play around with different ingredients and techniques. Oh well.
Thanks for the comments!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%