all4cake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

all4cake, I took a look at your pictures. You do PIPING!
I love piping so-o-o much more than fondant on a cake...

I'm always torn between staring at it, and falling into it mouth first and eating my way back out like a cartoon character.

What do you mean, I do PIPING? LOL (lemme go look at my pics again... you got me wonderin' now)

I think she's refer to your little mini cake in yellow in your picks lol. YOU do piping.....how old are those pic that you forgot them all ready? LOL

LOL! That one was done the day the pic was uploaded or a couple of days before. It was the PIPING I was asking about...not the piping. BTW, what do you mean by YOU do piping? LOL

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #32 of 45

Eddie Spence is doing a royal icing demonstration at Cake International in the UK in November. I only just realised that though and had already booked the same time on the same day with another demonstrator icon_sad.gif Maybe I should count the £8 as a loss and go see Eddie in all his glory instead xD

The International School of Sugar Craft Book Two Advanced is great for royal icing info too.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:05am
post #33 of 45

LisaPeps if I was still living in the UK I sure would take the loss and go to see Eddie Spence.......hold here a minute, who is the other demo your going to see? If it's some good, it might present a challenge. LOL.

LisaPeps Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #34 of 45

The other guy is Paul Bradford, co-owner of Truly Scrumptious cakes http://www.designer-cakes.com/, he was so so helpful when I was asking questions about recreating his bear cake.

The dilemma is that Eddie Spence is doing the demo on RI flowers and Paul Bradford is doing his on carving a dragon cake. I think the Paul Bradford one would be more useful to me as I have already got the majority of cutters for doing gumpaste flowers and I enjoy making 3D cakes and would like to learn more.

Paul Bradford will show how to make a mini version of this http://www.designer-cakes.com/dragon.php which is pretty cool.

On the other hand Eddie Spence has 60 years of knowledge of RI and I have about a weeks worth lol. It would probably be faster doing the RI flowers rather than sitting there doing it in gumpaste.

Bahhhhhh what to doooooooo!

thatslifeca Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #35 of 45

LisaPeps I see why your are in a dilema. It would be an easy choice for me, I don't do carvings. My carvings all look the same....1 big lump of cake LOL. Well good luck with your choice....you should do what makes you happy.

Mirian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mirian Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:26pm
post #36 of 45

I just gotthe books from Kate Venter and Nicholas Lodge. This last one is amazing and I am looking forward to try all the cakes and filigrins he is showing here.
Thanks a lot.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirian

I just gotthe books from Kate Venter and Nicholas Lodge. This last one is amazing and I am looking forward to try all the cakes and filigrins he is showing here.
Thanks a lot.

which books did you get?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

NO the icing should not be very hard. You can learn how to do that by taking a PME course in RI. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any PME (love their products) courses being taught here in the US, and my getting to CA any time soon is financially impossible. Any more information any of you can give us on this technique would be most appreciated.

I love old-school techniques, and would be thrilled to learn more about this from any of you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm
post #40 of 45

LisaPeps you got some great books. I have all 3 of them, but I cherish the one from Eddie Spence.

playingwithsugar what type of information would you like? It seems to be an almost forgot art, I hope it makes a come back. I'd be glad to help. You can pm me for more info if you like.

bonniebakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #41 of 45

This intriguing piping and decorating with RI is very interesting to me. If anyone has any other suggestions for books, I would love to hear them - thanks!!

LisaPeps Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:47pm
post #42 of 45

This one is good too http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1853917532/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's written by the same guy that did this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/1851529632/?tag=cakecentral-20 so some of it is repeated.

If you want a book specific to royal icing, get the art of sugarkraft, lace and filigree. If you want a good cake decorating book with RI info including get The International School... Book 2.

But the King of RI books is the Eddie Spence one.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:20pm
post #43 of 45

Here is a tutorial on the flooding of the bottom part...IDK about the top. HTH

bonniebakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

This one is good too http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1853917532/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's written by the same guy that did this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/1851529632/?tag=cakecentral-20 so some of it is repeated.

If you want a book specific to royal icing, get the art of sugarkraft, lace and filigree. If you want a good cake decorating book with RI info including get The International School... Book 2.

But the King of RI books is the Eddie Spence one.

thanks! I'll try to find them here in the US.... so far I haven't had any luck.

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 8:25pm
post #45 of 45

I can only say go for Eddie's book. I do a class with Eddie and can only say that he is such a treasure and very generous with helping others learn his skill. He has such a passion for RI and loves teaching others (even though he's now 7icon_cool.gif.

If you can see Eddie in action I would encourage you to grab the opportunity. The piece in the picture is definitely all RI. I love the medium and just wish that I was better at it. But hey practice makes perfect!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%