Royal Icing Quilling

Decorating By Mirian Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 8:25pm by Goldberry

Mirian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mirian Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 45

Hi,
Does any one have any idea about quilling with royal icing to make those beautiful scrols showed in some cakes? I have checked the forum but all of them were for fondant modeling, and I have also seen them in royal icing.
Thanks

44 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 45

Do you definatly mean quilling, and not just scroll work? Can you link to a picture? I've only ever seen quilled cakes done with gumpaste (and or fondant), I don't think it could be done with ri.
xx

Mirian Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:45am
post #3 of 45

Hi,
Well, on the photo I saw they said it was royal icing quilling.
On the photographs I am uploading, do you see the scrols? they are made on Royal Icing. Any idea about the technic?
Thanks a lot.
Mirian
LL

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:26am
post #4 of 45

Hi there, this is what we used to call lace and filligree and flood work. I did load of this 20 years ago, before styles changed

If you can get hold of any of Kate Venter, Nicholas Lodge or Eddie Spence books on royal icing, these people are all experts in this type of work. Have a look on Amazon, I got Kate Venters and Nicholas Lodges Books, for 1penny plus Postage. Or maybe your local library could get copies.

The Art of Sugarcraft Lace and Filligre by Nicholas Lodge

The Kate Venter Sugar Art Collection

Royal Icing by Eddie Spence (this is a new book just out)

Hope this helps you

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:36am
post #5 of 45

wow, that just blows your mind! cant get my head around doing some of those techniques - good luck on your quest!
xx

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:37am
post #6 of 45

This book Royal Icing by Eddie Spence is amazing, however it doesn't have anything on quilling unfortunately icon_sad.gif

It's still one of my favourite books though, well worth the money

Mirian Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:23am
post #7 of 45

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I will have a look for the books. These are technics that here in Spain you never see and I would like to try them. I´m sure it would be hard but with patience everything can achieved.
Thanks a lot for your help.
BR
Mirian

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:12am
post #8 of 45

Looking at it, I really think that it's a combo of royal icing piping, rolled out and cut quilled strips in gum paste, pastillage, or mexican paste, and run out collars (Nirvana).

Rae

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirian

Hi,
Does any one have any idea about quilling with royal icing to make those beautiful scrols showed in some cakes? I have checked the forum but all of them were for fondant modeling, and I have also seen them in royal icing.
Thanks

Can you point me to the site where you found this?
Thanks

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:32am
post #10 of 45

Wow, that is amazing. But, I don't see how you could possibly do that whole thing in royal. I would think it is a combination of gumpaste and royal. Gosh, can you imagine the work that went into that piece. I wonder how many pieces broke before he got the piece completed. Yikes.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 45

FOUND SOME!!!!
Here are some similar style tiara toppers made from royal icing at Karen's Cakes. See the layers? If you look really close that topper above has those.
http://picasaweb.google.com/coldinwpg/KarenSCakes#5191462439690564354
http://picasaweb.google.com/coldinwpg/KarenSCakes#5191439113723179714
Here's some royal icing that will blow your mind...
http://vinism-sugarart.blogspot.com/2009/05/royal-icing-wedding-cake.html
(Might want to turn down your sound, though)

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 45

WTH!! Bronze award for the 3rd link??? My God I wonder what got gold......

Mirian Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:45am
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirian

Hi,
Thanks

Can you point me to the site where you found this?
Thanks

I found it in flickr, in Cakes by Joanna´s gallery

Mirian Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:51am
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

FOUND SOME!!!!
Here are some similar style tiara toppers made from royal icing at Karen's Cakes. See the layers? If you look really close that topper above has those.
http://picasaweb.google.com/coldinwpg/KarenSCakes#5191462439690564354
http://picasaweb.google.com/coldinwpg/KarenSCakes#5191439113723179714
Here's some royal icing that will blow your mind...
http://vinism-sugarart.blogspot.com/2009/05/royal-icing-wedding-cake.html
(Might want to turn down your sound, though)

Hi,
Thanks for the links.
I also thought that with several layers it woudl work but, what about the sharp edges? On the tiara the edges are round and on the scrols of the topper they are sharp. Can you see it?
Anyway, I guess that it would do with a lot of practice.
BR

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:12am
post #15 of 45

The ends of the scrolls (especially noticeable in the top curves of the uppermost scrolls) are not as if they were cut which makes me believe they weren't made of gumpaste/sugarpaste/pastillage.

They could have been made either by overpiping as done with the tiaras just with a finer tip and more precisely laid. They can also be made in the same fashion as royal icing or chocolate bow loops. I'd wager they were overpiped though.

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #16 of 45

There seems to be a better view of the overpiping in the second picture of Cakes by Joanna

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51371816@N02/4725452961/in/set-72157624338703894/

Mirian Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:22am
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

There seems to be a better view of the overpiping in the second picture of Cakes by Joanna

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51371816@N02/4725452961/in/set-72157624338703894/

You are right, it is possible to see the layers in that photo, I did not notice it before, thanks a lot. I guess that for getting the sharp edge look, the icing should be very hard.
Thanks a lot for pointing it out.
Best regards.
Mirian

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:18am
post #18 of 45

NO the icing should not be very hard. You can learn how to do that by taking a PME course in RI. Those are called poured collars and she has worked the RI around it. She has also done an overly of RI in some areas but not all. If you check on youtube and search "thefoodcourt cake decorating" there is a lady her name is Elaine MacGregor and she shows you have to do a lot of things with RI and other methods of cake decorating that you would learn with a PME course. Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #19 of 45

For the scrolls, a nice medium consistency icing, strained through a well cleaned stocking (I use support stockings, they have a tighter weave), small tubes, a dampened paint brush nearby to tidy up edges (also good to help reposition lines should a slight adjustment be needed, and most of all patience.

Sharp points are likely aided by a dampened paint brush. I'm sure there are those who can manage them without using the dampened paint brush but I find it to be necessary.

thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 45
Quote:

For the scrolls, a nice medium consistency icing, strained through a well cleaned stocking (I use support stockings, they have a tighter weave), small tubes, a dampened paint brush nearby to tidy up edges (also good to help reposition lines should a slight adjustment be needed, and most of all patience.

Sharp points are likely aided by a dampened paint brush. I'm sure there are those who can manage them without using the dampened paint brush but I find it to be necessary.

Yeahhhh a cake decorator after my own heart!!!! Don't you just love doing this type of work? icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Yeahhhh a cake decorator after my own heart!!!! Don't you just love doing this type of work? icon_biggrin.gif

I doooooooo!

I think, creating the design or finding various techniques and where to use them on a piece is almost as time consuming as the actual work on them. I want to do a grand piece so badly!

thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #22 of 45

Ohhhh so do I All4cake. Hell, I'll do it for free if someone I know would just ask me icon_redface.gif . I really miss it. I'd do dummy cakes but then I can't bring myself to kill them and start again. I get very attached to my designs..you had to see me before I retired.....I was really hard to walk away from the venue and leave my cake there icon_cry.gif. I think I need help LOL.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #23 of 45

I'm glad this thread came up because royal icing is my next endeavor. Thanks for all the info folks! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #24 of 45

I just spent the last two hours with a wonderful person and a double batch of royal icing. She wanted me to show her how I make miniature roses. Now, I have quite a bit of USED royal icing. I think I'm going to prep some dummies (or at least 1 anyway) and get a start on a grand piece (at least I'll be moving toward it, right?)

thatslifeca Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:27pm
post #25 of 45
Quote:

I just spent the last two hours with a wonderful person and a double batch of royal icing. She wanted me to show her how I make miniature roses. Now, I have quite a bit of USED royal icing. I think I'm going to prep some dummies (or at least 1 anyway) and get a start on a grand piece (at least I'll be moving toward it, right?)

Yeahhhhh, don't forget to list your pic on CC, not enough of our kind of work on here. Or I can't find any lol.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #26 of 45

all4cake, I took a look at your pictures. You do PIPING!
I love piping so-o-o much more than fondant on a cake...

I'm always torn between staring at it, and falling into it mouth first and eating my way back out like a cartoon character.

all4cake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:25pm
post #27 of 45
Quote:

I'm always torn between staring at it, and falling into it mouth first and eating my way back out like a cartoon character.

What do you mean, I do PIPING? LOL (lemme go look at my pics again... you got me wonderin' now)

thatslifeca Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #28 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean, I do PIPING? LOL (lemme go look at my pics again... you got me wonderin' now)

I think she's refer to your little mini cake in yellow in your picks lol. YOU do piping.....how old are those pic that you forgot them all ready? LOL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #29 of 45

This book was mentioned earlier in this thread and I just bought it -- The Art of Royal Icing by Eddie Spence -- and let me tell you, it is AMAZING!! I've never seen work done like that and I own a ton of ancient cake decorating books!! I highly, highly, highly recommend it to any interested in royal icing work! icon_biggrin.gif

thatslifeca Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:26pm
post #30 of 45

Welcome to my world bobwonderbuns......welcome to my world lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%