How Do You Get A Cake Tier So Tall ?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm by indydebi

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 6

On some of the cakes in the gallery, the tiers look like they are 4 to 5 layers tall. How do you get them so tall without the bottom callapsing ? Do you put cake circles in between layers and dowel rod them?

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 6

Every four inches should have dowels and a board. Sometimes I'll make a tier six inches tall and not put any extra support into the middle of it though.

sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you icon_smile.gif I thought so , I have one in a couple weeks and thought I better ask before doing something stupid lol!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 6

On really tall tiers, a board and dowels in the middle makes it easier to serve. Imagine trying to plate an 8" tall slice of cake icon_biggrin.gif

Cut the board exactly the size of the unfrosted cake, and it won't show when it's inside the tier. Just tell whoever's serving to expect a board halfway through the tier.

sweetnessx3 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 6

LOL...Your right ! That would be one heck of a piece of cake icon_smile.gif to be honest after I get my second helping that would equal my serving size LOL! Thank you Texas_rose ! That was a big help icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

On really tall tiers, a board and dowels in the middle makes it easier to serve. Imagine trying to plate an 8" tall slice of cake icon_biggrin.gif

oh amen! I had to cut and serve an R2D2 grooms cake that was made by another baker. 4 layers of cake (8" tall) with NO boards or dowels! icon_surprised.gif It was VERY difficult to cut thru only 4" of cake and know where to stop for a normal slice of cake.

This was also the same baker-chic who had swiss-cheesed her wedding cake with 97 dowels (ok, maybe not THAT many but it was a LOT!) who had me cussing that cake cutting, too! I was not in a good cake-mood that day! tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%