Fondant/gum Paste Numbers

Decorating By MissSuper Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 8:09am by soph917

MissSuper Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:01am
post #1 of 2

I am making a cake which requires me to put two numbers onthe top. I have always wondered how to make those numbers. What they are made of gumpaste or fondant and how to attach on top of the cakes. Any direction, referrals will be appreciated
Also, how far in advance should I make the numbers?

Please check link (second row,second cake)

1 reply
soph917 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:09am
post #2 of 2

It actually says that the number is made of gumpaste. I have made a few numbers like this, using MMF, with Tylose added to it to form the number. You definitely can not use just fondant. It won't hold it's shape that way. I would do it at least 2 days in advance. To make the number I just knead the gumpaste till pliable, roll into a long sausage, and then shape into the number. I dab a paintbrush in water to secure the scroll to itself. Let dry. Attach with Tylose glue to the cake. I mix Tylose powder and a bit of water. It makes a very good glue.

Also, I have learned not to make the numbers too thick. If they are too heavy even a good glue may not be supportive enough.
I'm certainly not an expert on this, this is just my experience from trial and error.

Quote by @%username% on %date%