How Many Cups Of Frosting Do I Need??

Baking By kateski Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm by Dayti

kateski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kateski Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:02am
post #1 of 2

Hi! I'm new to this site, and I tried searching this topic, but came up with nothing. icon_redface.gif

I'm making 175 mini red velvet cupcakes which will have a swirl of cream cheese frosting, plus a 6" square cake which needs to be filled and frosted as well. I have no clue how many cups of frosting I will need!

I am soooo horrible at estimating how much frosting to make, and always have either way too much, or not even close to enough.

Any help, pretty please??

1 reply
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 2

Use this chart to calculate your batter, frosting and filling for the cake, I believe it was created by a Cake Central user but I don't know their name, sorry!:
http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi
In your case it comes out as 3.5 cups for your square 6". This would be for 2 layers, you will have to calculate more if you split your layers.

For cupcake frosting, I calculate 2oz each in weight for regular cupcakes, 1oz each in weight for minis. That would be a regular swirl with a 1M tip. I don't know how you would go about making that into cup measurements though, maybe someone else can help you with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%