Cake Related Tv Show Recomendations Please!

Lounge By zespri Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 12:15am by cownsj

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:47am
post #1 of 25

I've seen a few people mention 'cupcake wars' here on the forums, and wondered if someone would recommend it? Or any other similar shows to look for on the internet to watch? We have a 'top baker' show here, but it is terrible. I'd be keen to watch something with a cake/cupcake theme, but must be careful to get something GOOD as I have limited bandwidth, and don't want to 'spend' it on something naff.

24 replies
karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 25

My favorite choice is "Fabulous Cakes." It is relatively new and it is on TLC (The Learning Channel) here in the States. I believe only a few episodes have aired. They follow real bakers who make real cakes for real events, and you watch and learn from observing how they create their masterpieces. And sometimes the show tells us how much the cakes cost. Each episode follows different bakers in different cities.

I also enjoy "Challenge" on the Food Network. Cake masters have 8 hours to make enormous, spectacular creations.

Cupcake Wars is pretty contrived--I wouldn't necessarily spend bandwidth on it unless you've watched other shows first. If you just need a "TV baking fix" then it's fine (and it's better than "DC Cupcakes"), but I wouldn't make it a high priority.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:14am
post #3 of 25

I really don't enjoy Cupcake Wars. They're too heavy with the puns and there just isn't enough of a "wow" factor to keep my interest.

I love Food Network Challenge and Ultimate Cake Off. I think Buddy does amazing work, but sometimes I think it's hard to watch Cake Boss because of all of the staged crap that happens. They really don't need to do it, as their work should (and does, when they let it) speak for itself.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:24am
post #4 of 25

Monday Nights on TLC... I was watching cake shows from 6-11. The cake boss, fabulous cakes, and cake wars. Tues and Thursday Ace of Cakes food network channel. Sometimes I catch cupcake wars, but I love the cake boss and fabulous cakes!

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:28am
post #5 of 25

Fabulous Cakes on TLC is by far one of the best cake shows. They show instructions on how to do some of the things, and they give the prices for the cakes. Great show!!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:03am
post #6 of 25

Another vote for Fabulous Cakes.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:49am
post #7 of 25

If I could only watch one it would be Faboulous Cakes.

Second choice maybe the challenge shows.

I don't watch Cupcake Wars or DC Cupcakes, and the yelling and drama in Cake Boss is too much, will occasionally watch Ace of Cakes if I am sitting around at the right time but don't go looking for it.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 25

Fabulous cakes is.... well... FABULOUS! Have to admit I also watch Ace of Cakes and Cake boss and the Challenges too. I do watch DC Cupcakes too but don't tell anyone! I learn a lot about what not to do...

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 25

Agreed...Fabulous Cakes does it for me. icon_biggrin.gif

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 25

Another vote for Fabulous cakes it is pretty much the only show that tries and shows a price for all the cakes as well as how they get the look they are going for it shows much more detail all in all and is very real.... no fake drama!

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 25

Best: Fabulous Cakes! It is realistic and they actually tell you how much these huge, detailed cakes cost!

Worst: DC Cupcakes thumbsdown.gif . It is so fake and annoying. I can't ever watch it for more than 5 minutes.

I like Cupcake Wars only for the flavor part of the challenge. But the whole "1000 perfect cupcakes in 2 hours" thing bothers me. Cake Boss used to be my favorite, but now it's too staged. I've honestly never been a fan of Ace of Cakes. Someone told me their cakes are dry and not very tasty so that kind of ruined it for me.

Oh! AndI also loooove Amazing Wedding Cakes! They actually show you a lot of the process that goes into making spectaclar wedding cakes.

sappy42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sappy42 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 25

I'll watch any of the cake/cupcakes shows if I pass by them. But I like Cake Boss, even if it is staged too much. Crazy as that family is, I kinda enjoy their drama! LOL

Fabulous Cakes is, well, pretty fabulous! I really enjoyed the Cake Power eppie, the owner really lets her personality shine through.

I'll admit to watching DC Cupcakes too, but it's not my fave. Challenge is always great to watch with my family. Cupcake Wars actually bores me.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 25

My vote would be for Fabulous Cakes as well!

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 25

Fabulous Cakes.

Cindsters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindsters Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 25

Another vote for Fabulous Cakes.

Peanut1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanut1027 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 25

Add another vote for Fabulous Cakes the food network Challenge.

I agree with hpchick33 about DC cupcakes. That show is really not good at all. Too fake thumbsdown.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 25

I don't like DC cupcakes either.....I like Fabulous cakes and the Ultimate Cake Offs. A cake designer in my area just got done taping an episode for Fabulous Cakes, I am so jealous, but she posted some of the video on her Facebook page and it was amazing icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 25

I don't like the cupcake show. Sorry, I just dont get it. I love Fabulous Cakes and Challenge. As for Ultimate Cake off, the show is not coming back. I dolike Cake boss more than I do Ace of Cakes.

Edna icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #19 of 25

wow, this is awesome ladies, there are some definite leaders, which makes it so much easier to choose, thank you!! icon_smile.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #20 of 25

Fabulous Cakes all the way! thumbs_up.gif
DC Cupcakes thumbsdown.gif So bad.
Ultimate Cake Off is good.
Cupcake Girls is the worst show I have ever seen.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #21 of 25

#1 ~ I love Fabulous Cakes!!
#2 ~ I love Cake Challenges!!
#3 ~ I like Cake Boss but it gets annoying at times.
I do like the way Buddy gets involved with doing
actually decorating some of the cakes himself &
having a hand in decorating some of the others.
It is not just his workers doing everything.

#4 ~ Ace of Cakes is OK ''at times''.

#5 ~ Cupcake Challenge is very uninteresting.
#6 ~ DC Cupcakes ROTS!!!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #22 of 25

I have to say that I watch all of the cake shows if I know that they are on, but I do agree with Edna- I like the cake boss better than Ace of Cakes. On the cake boss- his sisters gets on my nerves. I do think fabulous cakes is the best because they share a lot of information and they show how hard it really is to make a cake.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:30pm
post #23 of 25

My favorite is Challenge, though I really wish Keegan would go back to hosting it. He made it much more exciting and informative when he was doing it. And it seemed like winning was much more impressive when he gives out the medal and check. Fabulous cakes, I've only seen the same episdoe twice, but I like it, and like others, I like how they tell how much the cakes cost.
I still love Ace of Cakes, but I do would like to see them get back to showing more of the process of decorating the cakes. I watch Cake Boss, but don't care for all the staging. Their talent is incredible. And I agree with whoever said it, the sisters really get on my nerves.
I saw DC cupcakes once, and not even a whole episode, though it may have been on for the entire episode, it just didn't hold my interest. Cupcake wars is odd, but I'll watch it if it's on.
Hey, if it's about making cakes, I'm pretty much there. lol

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:57pm
post #24 of 25

My favorite is Amazing Wedding Cakes. The new season for AWC start the end of August on the WE channel. Like everyone else Fabulous Cakes is really good. No fake drama. I have to admit I like Cake Boss. I agree the family drama is very staged and is annoying but I think they make beautiful cakes. Ace of Cakes is OK.
DC Cupcakes is just plain ridiculous. Cupcakes Wars is definitely not worth your time.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:15am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

My favorite is Amazing Wedding Cakes. The new season for AWC start the end of August on the WE channel. Like everyone else Fabulous Cakes is really good. No fake drama. I have to admit I like . I agree the family drama is very staged and is annoying but I think they make beautiful cakes. Ace of Cakes is OK.
DC Cupcakes is just plain ridiculous. Cupcakes Wars is definitely not worth your time.

How could I have forgotten Amazing Wedding Cakes? That's one of my top two. It's between that and challenge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%