Baking Individual Layers

Decorating By asutterer Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm by indydebi

asutterer Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #1 of 6

has anyone ever tried baking individual layers ~ 1" thick (cookie pan) and stacking 3 - 4 of these rather than torting a 2 or 3 inch cake? I was thinking it might be sturdier. I know it is terribly inefficient but I am not a professional just a newbie trying to achieve crisp edges on a fondant covered cake.

5 replies
beesweetcakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 6

I bake all of my layers individually. I use the 2 inch pans. I personally think it looks better and is sturdier. I tried torting once and the cake fell apart on me. I'll never do that again. Sure it takes double the time for baking but it is so worth in the end. My customers appreciate more cake as well.

DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:38am
post #3 of 6

My sister in law did that when she made a rainbow cake for her gay friend. She only has 1 8" pan and said it took forever doing all those layers, but it honestly looked AWESOME when it was cut into.

Gingoodies Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 6

I alway bake in individual layers too. I like the idea of having that top and bottom "crust". I never have a problem with fillings seeping into my cakes. Not having to deal with milllions of cake crumbs is also a BIG plus for me!

HPChick33 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 6

I always bake individually. I love having nice 2" layers. The cakes look so tall and nice. I also love the fact that you can level perfectly while it's still in the pan. I get perfectly level cakes that way.

indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

I alway bake in individual layers too. I like the idea of having that top and bottom "crust". I never have a problem with fillings seeping into my cakes. Not having to deal with milllions of cake crumbs is also a BIG plus for me!

I dont' like that brown "crust" in the middle of my cakes but I sure could get into not dealing with all of those crumbs! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%