How Can I Get This Guitar Wood Effect?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 11:07am by Maria925

Maria925 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:54am
post #1 of 15

I would like to make my nephew a guitar cake for his 15th birthday. I haven't really carved anything like this before, but I think I can make a template and figure that out. What is throwing me is the color of the guitar. I have attached (hopefully) a picture below.

I'm not sure what color fondant to use and how to get those "lines" in the body...should I paint them on? I don't have an airbrush & maybe that's not even what I should be using. Is there a way to mix the fondant with this effect in it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
cr8zchpr Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 15

wow that looks like tiger wood to me, probably the hardest effect to achieve from the looks of it. I would color my fondant the lighter color and hand paint the pattern, layering on a light color wash till I achieved the right color. But I'm not an expert. Let's see what others say.

bmarlow001 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #3 of 15

I would say color the guitar the base color and paint it on the best you can.. that looks tough!

sweettreat101 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:28am
post #4 of 15

I have heard of some people using a wood grain tool from the hardware store. Home Depot sells a set for 3.97 with several different types of wood grain. It's basically a handle with the stamp or mold on the end. Brush with gel color and use the tool to achieve the detail. I would roll out some fondant and try several colors or patterns until you get what you are looking for.

step0nmi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:49am
post #5 of 15

I know that when I am trying to achieve this type of pattern you can paint on a base coat of food coloring/vanilla or lemon mixture (make a paint for yourself) I let that dry slightly....then I go over it again with more of the same color and keep brushing and pulling that color on until I achieve the desired look of wood grain. Does that make sense?

what happens is that the fondant will take on the first coat and then when you go to apply the second coat and keep brushing you are pulling to color into spots where it will build up and start making a texture. The beauty of it is that you can't really mess it up, but you might need to practice a little to see what to use and how to brush before doing the final product that you want.

I did this on a board of fondant under my bass fish in my photos (I hope its there) let me know if I'm confusing icon_lol.gif

Frosting999 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:36am
post #6 of 15

I've only done woodgrain fondant once before...I marbled light brown and dark brown fondant first and then hand painted the vodka/colour mix on with a small brush sweeping the strokes in desired direction only...worked very well and took all of 5 minutes. Results weren't "fine" lines as in your pics though....Perhaps try rolling your light fondant out first and then lay needle thin strips of the dark brown over it and then lightly roll again with pin to press them in...??

Maria925 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:11am
post #7 of 15

Sounds to me like I will need to do some practicing to see what I can do with this! Thank you for your suggestions. Did I mention this will be the first time working with RKT (for the neck) and the first time covering a cake in fondant? Ha ha ha...aim high right...LOL! Oh and he wants carrot cake!!!! I found a carrot cake recipe on here that is supposedly good for carving...we will see.

At least my nephew will (hopefully) think his cake is cool no matter what. This is HIS guitar I'm trying to replicate icon_smile.gif

Oh and I forgot to add that I have to travel almost 2 hours with this cake...ha ha ha! This is going to be an adventure for me icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 15

wow Maria! You're like "go big or go home!" icon_lol.gif

sounds like you do need to practice. I just had a thread going about RKT...if you make them yourself don't use butter, makes them too soft for forming.

Practice covering a regular cake in fondant before doing a shape.

I'm a liiiiitttle nervous about the carrot cake for carving. I don't think any recipe for carrot cake is good for carving.

The only other advice i can give you is start now and your practicing and make sure to start early before you leave with the cake. OH! And don't forget to MEASURE everything! Figure out how big the cake will be, what you will need to put it in to keep it safe, and where it will go in your vehicle when transporting. If possible, since I know it's probably hot, try to find something to help protect it from the elements.

good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

Maria925 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:11am
post #9 of 15

Thanks I'm going to need all the luck I can get! Luckily, it's for family who will be thankful no matter what icon_smile.gif

But I found this video on Youtube and it has inspired me! I have no delusions that my cake will look like THIS, but hey a girl can dream!!!

hbarberycakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 15

i made a template to cut out the bass i did. i also did a mat brown color on the fondant and painted airbrush color on it. i felt the wilton and other ones were too thick for me to play with. you can see the pic of the bass i made in my pics! good luck n have fun!!!

DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 15

I watched that video and it looks like they did the woodgrain you want to do. I had the sound off, so I don't know if they described the procedure. I make woodgrain very much like step0nmi described. And it looks like Geoff did something similar only with a very small brush.

What I'd do is cover the cake with a light gold colored fondant. Mix brown and yellow airbrush colors. Paint on with a chip brush or brush of your choice. Then, drag another brush across the partially dry paint. There's a pretty small window of workability. Start too soon and you'll just smear the paint around. Play around too long and you'll start dissolving the fondant under the paint.

Okay, I just remembered I took some photos of the technique when I made my bowling alley floor. You'll want to use a smaller brush and mayble jiggle it a little as you drag it across to get the wavy pattern. Good luck!

Maria925 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #12 of 15

Soooooo...I thank you all for your advice. However, I have just learned that for his birthday he is receiving a new guitar. I (hopefully) attached the picture below. While I'm happy it's black, which will be much easier...check out the crazy shape! That's going to be some interesting carving...LOL! I will be making one heck of a template!

Maria925 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #13 of 15

Well...I can't, but if anyone is interested at looking at this crazy's the link:

DianeLM Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:09am
post #14 of 15

WOW! How cool is that?!!! If I were you, I'd make the sharp pointed sections out of RK treats, fondant or cake ball dough. It'll be reallllly hard to carve and ice cake to a point like that!

Maria925 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:07am
post #15 of 15

Thank you for the suggestion! I know I would drive myself insane trying to ice those corners razor sharp to those points. I will probably use fondant for the effect. Hopefully anyway. He couldn't just get a nice simple guitar now could he...LOL! I'm just glad I found out BEFORE I started practicing the other guitar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%