Possible To Answer?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 2:06am by Lcubed82

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I'm using an sps system for the first time and am a little worried on getting the height right. The sps pillars are 4 inches, the cake tiers will have 2 layers, filled and iced with buttercream, and then covered in fondant.

Is there any way to tell how thick I should make the layers? Or even a rough idea on general thicknessthicknesses for everything?

TIA

2 replies
Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 3

I usually start with 2" high cakes, torte, stack, and ice and somehow they end up perfect for SPS. I do like to "smash" or maybe more appropriately "smoosh" them after I torte to make sure the filling doesn't "ooze" out. (I decided to break out all the technical terms for you icon_wink.gif ) You might want to try a practice cake or two to check for height and then you can adjust accordingly.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:06am
post #3 of 3

Time for math!

If you level your layers to 1 3/4" each, you will have 3 1/2" of cake. Middle filling of 1/4", leaves 1/4" for top icing and fondant. You would want to be sure to let your cakes settle well before leveling.

If you level your cakes to 1 7/8", you have some leeway for settling, and can always squish it down.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%