The Best Cupcake Frosting

Baking By blondmary Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm by cylstrial

blondmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondmary Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:35am
post #1 of 14

Hello cupcake lovers!
I would like to know what is the best cupcake frosting (buttercream) out there. Every time I make homemade buttercream frosting it ends up melting as soon as I get them out to the car to deliver them, and I am not a fan of using only Crisco on the recipe. I love the look of the creamy texture I see on the pictures posted by members but I don't know what recipe everyone uses. I checked several recipes on the "recipe" tab, but I really don't know which ones are good. Can someone help please??

Thank you in advanced icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
Rougediamond03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rougediamond03 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #2 of 14

I use a traditional American Buttercream. I love it and it really holds up well. Just make sure that you add enough powdered sugar because the butter will melt out of it and make it greasy.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 14

Hi, I'm in CA too. I like to use seriouscakes frosting(on youtube she has the video and recipe). It is mostly butter with some hi ratio along with cream and some karo. It is a very stable and versatile buttercream for cupcakes and cakes. I think it tastes a lot better than 50/50 butter/shortening recipes and it seems to do fine in CA as far as stability.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 14

I use IndyDebi's buttercream recipe. It does use Crisco but the Dream Whip element gives it a lovely light mouth feel. It is very heat durable and makes beautiful crisp swirls when piped onto cupcakes.

Kristy

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #5 of 14

I would say Swiss meringue buttercream is the best cupcake frosting I have used the only downfall is you can't tint it darker colors.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:02am
post #6 of 14

My favorite is Jeannie's Cake Icing lovely "light" texture and not too sweet. I used it on my cupcakes in my photos, sorry can't post it here.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 14

I think instead of changing the frosting you might want to turn the AC on in your car for a few minutes.

Having said that, any butter frosting will melt in the heat. I can still remember my experience of trying to pipe butter based frosting in a classroom that was about 100 degrees, or felt like it.

You can try IMBC as that is supposed to be more stable than American or SMBC. Also you can try a butter/crisco combination (I know you don't like shortening, neither do I. But sometimes you have to compromise during certain times of the year.) Or you can try a cream cheese/butter combo. This will give a little bit more stability, but not much.

Shortening - there are trans fat free vegetable shorting not made with Soy available in an organice store or section of your grocer. You could try those and see if that works for you. I have some called Spectrum that I'll be trying sometime soon. I am on a baking diet til I lose about 5 pounds. After that I am going to give it a try as I need a pure white frosting for a Hello Kitty cake.

Good luck.

blondmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondmary Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #8 of 14

thank you ladies... I will try a few things and see how they turn out.

I appreciate your help! icon_smile.gif

sweetenuf3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetenuf3 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbuttercream

I would say Swiss meringue buttercream is the best cupcake frosting I have used the only downfall is you can't tint it darker colors.

I agree... I live in florida and swiss meringue works everytime... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 14

I'm also in Florida and I only use indydebi's BC. When I first started making it I was only using vanilla and I could taste the shortening in it. (or at least I thought I could) when I tried the butter extract it made it so much more enjoyable. my mom HATES all shortening BC and she couldn't tell the difference between the extract and the real butter.

sweetenuf3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetenuf3 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 14

I never use shortening in my BC, I just hate the greasy mouth feel... Where in Florida are you??? Me, sarasota county...

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 14

I use the same recipe and I'm also in central CA. It gets really hot here and this is the only recipe I use during the summer.

Kimberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I use IndyDebi's buttercream recipe. It does use Crisco but the Dream Whip element gives it a lovely light mouth feel. It is very heat durable and makes beautiful crisp swirls when piped onto cupcakes.

Kristy

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 14

The Buttercream Dream recipe on here is my favorite for flavor! But IndyDebi's holds up the best in the heat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%