Why Do People Think This Is Easy?

Lounge By TheBlonde Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 5:43am by luvmysmoother

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 24

One of my good friend's just sent me a pic text with all the decorating supplies she just bought to make her daughter's birthday cake. She lives 4.5 hours away and wanted me to do her cake but I couldn't make the trip. She probably just spent about $100 and she has never even attempted to do a cake before. All the power to her but there's no way she can pick up those tools and make a professional cake.

I had another person ask me to teach them how to do one of my cakes earier this week. I told them that they would need to purchase a bunch of equipement including my $300 airbrush machine to make a cake look like the one they wanted.

Why do people think they can just pick up some supplies and make a beautiful professional cake with no experience? Although I have to say that I'm completely self taught and I started 4 years ago by making my daughter's 2nd birthday cake...but still icon_smile.gif

23 replies
Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #2 of 24

I had a neighbor (thankfully she has since moved) who wanted a 3 -tier cake for her dd's b-day. At this point I had never done a tiered cake or worked with fondant. But I was going to practice first to see if it was something I could do.
Well I had company from out of town and another cake, when she calls to tell me she went ahead and bumped the dd's b-day up 2 wks. She was going to let her have the party in 2 days and if I couldn't make the cake it was ok icon_confused.gif .....really it was gonna have to be, there was no way I could have gotten it done!
Then she says well "I can try to make it myself, how hard can it be? I am thinking you can just buy the fondant right?" I said "sure you can"
She called the morning of the party to tell me she had 2 cakes in the oven and she was going to buy icing and wanted to know how hard it would be to make circle designs on the cake! Ooooh, I wanted to smack her with my spatula! I still don't know how i turned out.
Some people never truly get it. Who knows maybe she'll make a decent cake, maybe not, but she'll have a whole new appreciation for what you do.

LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:08am
post #3 of 24

Well, I have come a long way since taking Wilton classes and hanging out here. I can still remember when I thought I would just go ahead and stack three tiers on top of each other for an upcoming family cake. It was everybody here who saved me from near disaster. Still I'm waiting til I can take the Wilton class before I attempt one.

Your friend will find out soon enough just how "easy" this is! Do you think it will be hot and humid the day she frosts the cake? That should be fun!

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 24

Well the birthday party is Saturday and she just bought the stuff tonight. She's laying with her husband watching a movie right now...I offered to call her and talk her through some stuff but she said she wanted to watch the movie tonight...LOL. Oh well...she will learn and appreciate what I do so much more icon_smile.gif

Cindy619 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #5 of 24

I think we can blame television on this one! The professionals on the reality cake tv shows make it look so easy sometimes that people figure, "Hey, I can do that too!" Which maybe they can someday, with the right education and LOTS of practice!

LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 24

Or how about they think everything is made of cake and surprise it RKT. Sometimes I look at these creations and wonder just where is the cake.

Maybe they need to stop referring them as cakes, but edible creations instead. I can't imaging biting into one and tasting RKT, even though they are my new love (which is why I refuse to make them lately. But family is getting to the begging stage, so I may have to give in!).

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 24

Well she asked if she could call me today at work and have me talk her through stuff. I have absolutely no problem doing this (she is a very good friend of mine) HOWEVER if she thinks a conversation over the phone will allow her to make an elaborate creation she is in for a big surprise icon_smile.gif

I will post a pic of the final product when she is done...can't wait to see it

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 24

OMG I'm dying from laughter...I just got off the phone with her. She's not planning to start the cake until tomorrow. She's going to bake and decorate in the same day! I asked her how she was going to make her gumpaste flowers since I didnt' see any cutters in the pic and she said that she's just going to wing it. She doesn't have any cutters or even a rolling pin!!!! How they hell does she expect to do anything without a rolling pin?!? Also, she has 7 people coming to stay in her house tomorrow for the party. So she will be entertaining guests, preparing for the party and also decorating the cake all in one day...This is going to be funny!

Tiffany29 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 24

Wow, is she in for a surprise. I wanna see that cake!

LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 24

Hopefully there is a grocery store nearby where she can buy the cake she is going to need.

Make sure you get photos. I would not want anybody on this site to see the cakes I made before I took decorating classes. My son posted a before and after photo on FB and I thought all his friends were going to die of laughter. This will be interesting.

cakesbycathy Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 24

Think of what a great lesson this is going to be for her. She is going to have a ton of respect for you once she attempts to do this herself and gets a reality check that you can't just throw a cake together (and have it come out like the picture).

Crustymuffin Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 24

My 1st cake was of professional qaulity. I Love it when people say you can't do someting. It is just fuel for me to diliver somting amazing. I ageree not everyone can just pick it up, but I will never asume that somone can't or that they will fail. Your points are vaild in ways but there is another perspective to view this from as well.

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustymuffin

My 1st cake was of professional qaulity. I Love it when people say you can't do someting. It is just fuel for me to diliver somting amazing. I ageree not everyone can just pick it up, but I will never asume that somone can't or that they will fail. Your points are vaild in ways but there is another perspective to view this from as well.

I absolutely agree. My first cake was fondant covered and came out AMAZING! Of course I have the creative gene...my friend...not so much...LOL I really hope that it does come out ok and she doesn't go insane in the process, however baking and decorating two cakes in one day is outright impossible for someone who's never done it before. Especially with 7 house guests, 3 dogs, her 2 children and also the children she's babysitting....

Cakechick123 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 24

I have a friend thats decided she is going to start making wedding cakes, after all " how hard can it be" Her exact words.
She took an order for Sept. Four tier cake with pleated fondant and gumpaste flowers icon_smile.gif She had no idea that there is a difference between gumpaste and fondant, no idea what the flowers are called that is on the cake. NEVER worked with fondant before, NEVER even decorated a birthday cake.
She took some pictures out of a magazine and made some sort of flyer. This she is distributing all over town and got at least one order from it.

I saw a cake she baked before and I've never seen such a lopsided cake in my life :O. It was not fit to be decorated so they ate it "naked" icon_smile.gif

The poor bride!!!!

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123

I have a friend thats decided she is going to start making wedding cakes, after all " how hard can it be" Her exact words.
She took an order for Sept. Four tier cake with pleated fondant and gumpaste flowers icon_smile.gif She had no idea that there is a difference between gumpaste and fondant, no idea what the flowers are called that is on the cake. NEVER worked with fondant before, NEVER even decorated a birthday cake.
She took some pictures out of a magazine and made some sort of flyer. This she is distributing all over town and got at least one order from it.

I saw a cake she baked before and I've never seen such a lopsided cake in my life :O. It was not fit to be decorated so they ate it "naked" icon_smile.gif

The poor bride!!!!

Oh my! The poor bride! Can't she get into trouble for using someone else's pics?

TheBlonde Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #16 of 24

So I convinced her to at least make the cakes tonight...I get a text a few minutes ago "OMG I completely forgot to grease the pan!!! What do I do!?!"

This looks promising.... icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:03am
post #17 of 24

Just went thru this with a friend of my daughters who stated "you guys do it all the time so it has to be easy!" Well this was before she tried to do it herself. Set herself up by telling everyone she was making this elaborate cake with bright colors, shooting stars and a crown. The final cake was horrendous. The top tier was collapsing into the bottom tier (guess who didn't know a thing about stacking or support?) the fondant was drooping, wrinkled and cracking and there were no shooting stars, no crown and no color. She spent over 100 on the stuff for it and it was just dismal. The awful, mean, spiteful voice in me said "well, SEE, what we do ISN'T easy and I'm SO happy you had this horrible failure to teach you a lesson" but the Mom inside me said "oh hon, I really wish you would have let us help you with this. It shows promise tho' so don't give up. Go on YouTube and educate yourself for the next time". I was heartbroken for her that she went the hard way and ended up with one sorta decent photo of her daughters 1st bday cake. SIGH.

TheBlonde Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 24

She got through it! She said that she's never making a cake again though icon_smile.gif I have to say that the Tinkerbell cake came out great for her first attempt! I am pretty proud of her!!! Now, the other one...not so much...LOL the big silver blob is supposed to be the moon.

TheBlonde Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 24

what am I doing wrong? I can't attach the pics..

kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #20 of 24

You need to put the picture on a host site, like tinypic.com then link it here.

TheBlonde Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm
post #21 of 24

Ok. lets see if this works

catlharper Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #22 of 24

Poor dear...she didn't do SO badly. I know how she feels tho...after my first "star tip" cake I swore I'd never do another one! LOL!

Hey, the girl I was talking about cornered me and admitted that she had a horrid time. She saw the cake I just made for another 1st birthday and admitted it was much better than her attempt. Well OF Course it was..I've been doing this for YEARS, that was her first attempt at doing any type of cake and she thought she'd be as good as someone who works at this every week? I told her where to look to find help, where to go for videos and to keep on trying. She didn't seem at all interested in trying again. Breaks my heart cause I think if she actually worked at it, even a little bit, she could be good at it! I think she just bit off more than she could chew for her first cake and now it's scared her to do others. SIGH.

Cat

cabecakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #23 of 24

I don't know why people think they can throw together a 4 tier wedding cake in an hour. It has to be the reality shows. It drives me crazy when people act like it is so easy to do. They don't realize how much work goes into one of these cakes. I am still struggling after almost a year, although I will admit, I don't have a lot of extra time to spend learning it. But it is very frustrating...I feel your pain. While her cakes didn't turn out too bad, I just looks like she used the ball pan and stuck in some plastic figures...used a star tip and viola. Oh and let's no forget the store bought cake decorations for the grand finale. I wish people would get a clue. I don't even do this for a living (hobby baker) a it frustrates me.

luvmysmoother Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:43am
post #24 of 24

I always think it's a huge compliment when people see my cakes and think to themselves "hmm - that looks easy - I could do that too" then try to do it. A lot of times they do a great job but no matter what - they TOTALLY appreciate how much effort goes into it. At first people think it's just cake mix, a bit of icing - voila - easy peasy. They soon realize it takes a long long time and tons of ingredients, supplies to decorate it smoothly and half decently. I actually prefer that people do try it themselves - they really appreciate the cakes I make so much moreicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%