Help Using Candy Clay With Deer Figure

Decorating By lecrn Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm by bbliss

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 2

I've made lots of figures using gumpaste with success, but all of the figures were either sitting or lying down. I need to make a small, cartoony deer figure (3-4inch) which will be standing on all fours. Would it be better to make the deer out of gumpaste or candy clay? Would I need to make a wire figure if I use candy clay? I've never worked with c. clay. Does it dry pretty hard?
Thanks!

1 reply
bbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbliss Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 2

Candy clay is really great to work with. I like it better than using fondant or gumpaste when making figures. I have the recipe and some tips on my blog if you're interested. I am having issues making a very top heavy figure, but I am going to use wire and try again. If your deer is standing on 4 legs, I think you would get away with just using pretzel sticks or spaghetti in the legs, but it depends on how heavy the body will be. If the deer is going to be kind of round, I would try to make the belly out of RKT and cover that in the candy clay. Use pretzel sticks or spaghetti for the legs. The problem with my figure is that the weight is not evenly distributed on 4 legs, there are only 2 legs, and the shoulders are very wide and the head is huge. (I'm trying to make a Star Wars figure.) So in my case, the weight is not evenly distributed, so I think I definitely will try the wire...

Good luck.

(for the recipe, go to achievingbakersbliss.blogspot.com)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%