Need Help!!!!! Strawberry Buttercream?

Baking By amyoungbl00d5 Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm by DianeLM

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 11

I took a last minute cake and the lady is asking for strawberry buttercream. The only recipe I see uses all butter. I live in Alabama...Hot and Humid...105 today! This is going underneath fondant as well. My usually recipe is Indydebi's crisco based buttercream. Can I use this and modify it with strawberrys? By the way the cake is due tomorrow at noon.

10 replies
Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 11

I saw that someone mashed strawberried and strained the juice and used that in place of the liquid in the buttercream.

FlamingoLadyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlamingoLadyKimmie Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 11

I never use real butter in my buttercreme (unless the client specifically requests) I live in Florida where it is terribly humid. I always use Crisco and butter flavor and vanilla. The strawberry buttercreme I make is just Crisco, flavorings, salt, powedered sugar and a bit of 1/2 and 1/2 or cream (whatever I have on hand) and I add in either a box of frozen strawberries that I defrosted and drained very well or some fresh strawberry jam to the buttercreme recipe. Works every time. Hope this helps.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 11

First, I would stick to indydebi's bc as your base.

I saw a thread recently about adding strawberry flavor to bc. What I learned is, if you add strawberries it is best ot let them macerate first. So dice them up then sprinkle them with sugar and put them in a colander over the sink. If you put them directly into the bc, the sugar in the bc will draw out the juice and ruin your bc.

You could also add preserves to the bc instead of the liquid, and/or strawberry flavoring.

I will see if I can find the link to that thread.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 11

You can also stir strawberry jam into your buttercream. If they are looking for fresh strawberries as well, just chop some up and mix them in or lay them on top of the buttercream filling.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 11

I am sorry, I cannot find it, but the other thing I remembered is that Leah said she used sleeved filling added to bc for flavorings

ok, here it is

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6912418-.html#6912418

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 11

If she is not expecting real strawberries, just strawberry-flavored, you can use a little bit of powdered kool-aid. I have done this before with several flavors of koolaid....it will make the icing pretty pink, too.

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, I was wondering if I added the fresh strawberries would the seperate the frosting. I think I will add preserves and some strawberry extract. I appreciate your help! thumbs_up.gif

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 11

If she is not expecting real strawberries, just strawberry-flavored, you can use a little bit of powdered kool-aid. I have done this before with several flavors of koolaid....it will make the icing pretty pink, too.

jean621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jean621 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 11

I feel your pain. I too live in Alabama. For my strawberry cake I use frozen strawberries in syrup (pureed in a blender) in place of the liquid in my buttercream. The puree keeps the buttercream smooth so it's not lumpy when I cover it with fondant. My customers tell me my strawberry cake is better than a well known local bakery here in Birmingham, so I guess I've come up with a good recipe.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 11

I like to mix sleeve filling into my buttercream, then add a few drops of Lorann strawberry to bump up the strawberry flavor. It may be a little too lumpy to put under your fondant, so maybe just strawberry flavoring in that bc and the chunky stuff only goes in the filling bc.

ETA: Just as I pressed "submit" I saw the message that precedes mine that addresses the lumpiness issue. Gotta quit relying on that 'speed reading'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%