Coffee In Cake

Baking By FondantLova Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm by LindaF144a

FondantLova Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantLova Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 16

i am making a chocolate cake from a recipe in coffetti cakes...it calls for 1.5 cups of strong coffee. does that mean the coffee grinds or do i have to brew the coffee? i know this may sound silly, but i usually use boxed cake icon_smile.gif thanks!

15 replies
Rhiannon1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon1121 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 16

This chocolate cake is my absolute favorite!!! And it is brewed coffee!!! icon_lol.gif Enjoy!! I know I do!! icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gif

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 16

This is absolutely my MOST FAVORITE CHOCOLATE recipe ever! Yes, brew the coffee and add it in.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 16

Brewed coffee and you will LOVE it. I'm not familiar with that recipe, but i replace the water in any chocolate cake recipe with coffee.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 16

I agree with the others. I don't use this recipe but I do sub brewed coffee for the water in my chocolate cakes. The coffee enhances the chocolate flavor.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 16

I have used both brewed coffee and instant coffee granules dissolved in hot water. Both work fine for me.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #7 of 16

I use instant coffee granules (2t to 1C boiling water), you can also substitue for Kahlua if you want another option.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:46am
post #8 of 16

Like others have said, use brewed coffee. It's amazing, you'll never use water in a chocolate cake again.

(I adore Confetti Cakes! All of the recipes are delicious!)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 16

Another fan of that recipe here.

Yes, brew the coffee and the OP is right, you can impart different flavors depending on what flavor coffee you use.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 16

I'm usually not patient enough to wait for the brewed coffee to cool so I use instant espresso.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondantLova

i am making a chocolate cake from a recipe in coffetti cakes...it calls for 1.5 cups of strong coffee. does that mean the coffee grinds or do i have to brew the coffee? i know this may sound silly, but i usually use boxed cake icon_smile.gif thanks!

Brew the coffee, and allow it to cool off a bit, but not fully cool --just not scalding hot. The warmth of the coffee is another boost to the chocolate. Some use day-old coffee for the "strong" factor, others use espresso syrup slightly diluted. I find the strong, warm coffee works best for enhancing the layers of flavor in chocolate.

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #12 of 16

I'm surprised to hear so many people using coffee in cake - I haven't baked my own cake from scratch for a while, but I will be sure to try out the water + coffee substitute next time - yum.

Can you actually taste the coffee flavour or just chocolate? (I know lots of people don't actually like coffee).

sweetooth0510 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #13 of 16

I personaly don't think that you can taste the coffee - like others have said it just seems to enhance the chocolate flavours.

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:50am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth0510

I personaly don't think that you can taste the coffee - like others have said it just seems to enhance the chocolate flavours.

So how much coffee would you add to a chocolate cake recipe to turn it into a MOCHA flavoured cake?

sweetooth0510 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:03am
post #15 of 16

my recipe has 2t coffee made with 1cup boiling water. The total wet ingredients are: 1C milk, 1C boiling coffee, 1/2C oil, 1t vanilla essence, 2 eggs. If it's for an adult I also sometimes substitute 1/2 C milk for 1/2 C Kahlua for extra coffee flavour.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth0510

So how much coffee would you add to a chocolate cake recipe to turn it into a MOCHA flavoured cake?

That depends on the recipe. I have two recipes that call for coffee. One has no dairy in it and you can taste the coffee. It is the coco loco cake in the book cakes to dream on. If you look for the posting titled ? For scratch bakers in the cake decorating forum, you will find s several recipes In there.( sorry no link. I'm on my iPad and it takes too long to make one on this)

The other recipe I use has dairy in it and you cannot taste the coffee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%