Making Modeling Chocolate - Question

Decorating By Sun11598 Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm by drakegore

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

Just made my first batch of modeling chocolate using candy melts & corn syrup. The concoction is cooling now - but I've noticed it's seeping. Is this normal? My first thought was that I didn't mix it enough - but I touched it and it's not sticky, so I don't think it's corn syrup.

6 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, this is normal. You need to let it sit for 24 hours. After it is fully cool, wrap firmly in double layer of plastic wrap and put in a cool/dry place out of sunlight. Tomorrow it will be hard but get pliable quickly from the heat of your hands.

I like to lightly use cornstarch when rolling it out or working with it, the cornstarch absorbs any excess moisture from the syrup and chocolate oils and keeps it from sticking to surfaces but doesn't leave residue or change consistancy of the modeling chocolate.

If you keep it wrapped up and in a plastic container out of the light and heat it will keep at least 2 weeks, I have some that I have used up to a month later but that will depend on your environmental conditions.

HTH.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 7

candy melts have more fat in them than semi-sweet so it is normal to see the fat on the outside. i choose to wipe it off before i begin kneading.
diane

Sun11598 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7

I didn't realize I needed to let it set so long. I wanted to start working with it tonight!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 7

You can try working with it tonight but it is best after 24 hours to let everything marry and set.

I've never worked with it that soon so have no idea how it will perform. I'd just work with a small piece first to see if it will do what you want it to. I think I read if you pop it in the fridge a bit it will hurry the setting along. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

EDIT: Here is what I could find with a super quick search.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-691331-candy.html+clay

One of the posters mentioned they put it in the fridge for a couple of hours then use.

Sun11598 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 7

it really does need the 24 hours to age to be at it's best performance, but if you put it the fridge like herekittykitty says, it will help.

be sure not to OVERKNEAD. just knead until it shows shine and then stop.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%