Submitting Recipes For Licensing/inspection

Business By kger Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm by Adevag

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 11

I'm not sure how other states do it, but in VA, you have to submit all recipes and processes to the DOA for review/approval. This seems a little overwhelming to me because I'm still not committed to any particular recipes just yet and I'm doing a lot of experimenting.

And one guy at the DOA said to submit recipes for EVERY SINGLE variation I intend to offer (he's in for quite a bit of reading if I submit recipes for the flavor combos on the Gourmet Flavors thread), as opposed to a woman in that office who said to submit the basic recipe and then make a notation about substitutions used to create different flavors. I talked to her first and then the guy 2nd.

When you submit this stuff for your initial review, how many recipes are you giving them? Are you including just your definites or are you including the recipes for the flavors you intend to offer? Like, I haven't made a carrot or a red velvet just yet, but I intend to offer them.

10 replies
ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 11

I'm in NC so I can't say it's exactly the same. I only had to provide a basic idea of the ingredients/recipes. I gave my "base" recipe and then listed any additional add-ins to change the cake flavor. When the inspector called me about my inspection, she said this is ok since I only make custom order cakes (if the client has a problem with any ingredients or special diet requests, we could discuss directly). She said if I were to sell the cakes at a farmers market, in a store front, etc. (had them pre-made and ready for customers to buy) that I would need to be very specific. Also would have to use food labels at that point.

littlesweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesweetpea Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 11

Wow! We did not have to do that. Our recipes come from my great
grandparents, grandparents, etc. Literally we have over a 1000 recipes. The only thing we need to do is have ingredient labels on the prepackaged items(bread). Although-we just had a "new" health inspector come in. And he did ask if people had allergies, would I know what to tell them. I have a lot of people with allergies, so I am very aware of this process.
I don't know what we would do if we had to submit all recipes-I am constantly coming up with new ones.

clstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clstar Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 11

I'm no help because I just recently moved to Virginia. I'm still trying to sort through all the licensing and inspection paperwork. Would you mind telling me how you found out that recipes were required? I've spent hours searching on the VDACS website and haven't found anything that specific.

kger Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 11

I called the Dept of Agriculture and they sent me a big packet of info. Then I called them for clarification on some points after I'd read it. So I know what I need to do. Just need to get my ducks in a row and do it. The recipes thing is kind of holding me up, though, because I keep changing my mind about which ones I want to use. They need recipes and processes for all cakes, fillings, and frostings, which is a total PITA, because I change my frosting based on the season, and I'm still playing with Dream Whip and mock recipes and whatever since I can't get my hands on any Bettercreme, darnit!

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 11

wowee! VA has really strict homeschooling laws also....I remember looking into it as I was kind of interested in moving there.

kger Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 11

I think they might not be too bad, actually. Firstly, I'm glad they even permit home food processors. Secondly, pets in the home is not a problem. They just can't be in the kitchen when you are baking. I think they want the recipes and processes to make sure you are using legitimate ingredients and are storing things properly and not inadvertantly poisoning someone by using arsenic in your recipes, or not refrigerating whipped cream or heating egg whites in mbc. I mean, should they just blindly assume that everyone knows what they are doing?

I guess I'm going to try to be as general as possible and just submit a white, yellow, chocolate, & carrot and maybe a few others and indicate where appropriate that I sub flavored yogurt for sour cream or use flavored extracts. If they come back for more details, then I'll just have to give them more info.

clstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clstar Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, kger! I got cross-eyed trying to read through all the different regulations on their website. I was also confused because the Henrico County Dept. of Health had something totally different. I'm going to call someone at the Dept. of Agriculture. I really appreciate the advice on that.

Good luck getting your recipes submitted! I think you have the right idea just to go with a few general ones.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 11

Kger, how nice you are getting ready to have a home business. I wanted to get started too. Unfortunately, I happen to live in the only county in northern Virginia that does not allow a home based food business thumbsdown.gif
I also read through the packet and thought they wanted a copy of each recipe. But if the difference only is extracts I would not make different ones (maybe just call it flavoring and include all options in the same recipe).
So if somebody has a specific request and it's not a filed recipe to the DOA, then a business in VA has do decline the request?
VanillaCoke, I have never lived in any other state, but I just (this week) mailed in our Notice of Intent to homeschool our oldest son (5 y/o). I did not find it very strict. It seems like homeschooling would be approved for most parents. But I have heard from homeschooling families moving to VA that this state is stricter than other.

kger Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #10 of 11

Adevag- where do you live? I'm in FFX Co.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

Adevag- where do you live? I'm in FFX Co.

I'm in Arlington County. Don't know why Arlington has to go against the rest of the state. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%