Rolled Buttercream Questions. Help

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm by brightbrats

brightbrats Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 6

I have a order for a set of legos this week-end. She doesn't want fondant on them only buttercream. I know I won't be able to get my icing as smooth as fondant. So when I was looking through the Galleries, i saw some were covered with rolled Buttercream.

My questions are.
1.Whats the best recipe ? I found several,just wondering which was the easiest to do.

2.. Do I roll it out like Fondant, and does it just stick to the cake ?

3. Do I need to ice the cake before I apply ?

Sorry for all the questions. i have never used it, or saw it used. But sounds like what I might need to get a smooth finish.

Any info you guys can give me on this would be terrific.

5 replies
debster Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 6

I think about all the recipes are similar, except like doing the chocolate one. Yes it works like fondant , I do use buttercream under it because I'm not a fan of fondant or RBC I like frosting on my cake. I do find it a little softer than fondant though.

brightbrats Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 6

Can it set out like a fondant cake or does it need to be refridged or covered ?

debster Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 6

I've left it out it's mainly shortening and powdered sugar if I remember right, I used it on cookies that were out and they were fine.

tigerhawk83 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

I've used a rolled buttercream recipe that I found on - to me it doesn't taste that much different than the MFF fondant I make, because I flavor my fondant using the same flavors I use in my buttercream. And the rolled buttercream isn't quite as pliable or stretchy as fondant because it doesn't have the gelatin or glycerin - but you may be able to use it just fine. I had to roll out the rolled buttercream thicker than fondant in order to keep it together to get it on a small cake. I did ice my cakes before using it.

No you don't have to refrigerate it - but if your client really wants buttercream then you might want to try and just use a good crusting buttercream and smooth it 2-3 times with VIVA paper towels because they may not realize you are using "rolled buttercream" and not "fondant"

Post your pics - I'm doing some Legos cakes NEXT weekend for a birthday icon_smile.gif

brightbrats Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

So what Good crusting buttercream recipe do you use ? I might give it a shot instead. Need to go get some Viva towels too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%