Drying Fondant Accents

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 3:28am by bmarlow001

MariaK38 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:03am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! What's the best way to dry fondant accents? I have 200 fondant monogram plaques for cupcakes to do. Should I just put them on cookie sheets over parchment paper, or should I put them on cookie racks so air gets underneath them?
Also, once they're dry (in a week or so), can I just store them in a cardboard cake box until I need them?

Thanks! Maria

7 replies
Alfiesmom Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:31am
post #2 of 8

when i make anything (maximum 2 weeks before) i leave to dry on parchment or wax paper cookie sheets (unless they need shape then i use bubblewrap) for couple hours/half a day, then box them in a gift/shirt box still on the bubble wrap. they're always fine. i've been told to never 'seal' them in airtight tupperware or bags.

MariaK38 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 8

thank you!

cakeythings1961 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 8

Does the fondant fade as it dries?

cdgleason Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 8

I try to make sure that I put pieces on a flat surface... as opposed to a standard rack that you might use to cool cookies. If you put soft fondant on anything like a wire rack, you'll end up seeing the pattern on the back side, and it may distort your pieces.
If you add a little bit of cmc or tylose powder to your fondant, they will set a little faster...like over night, and be easier to move without distorting!!
I think there are some colors...like pink and purple, that are distorted if they are exposed to lots of light! I try to keep my pink fondant and gumpaste stuff covered!!

hollyml Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 8

Colored fondant can fade over time but it's not the drying process that does it; it's exposure to light. Especially sunlight. So once they are stiff enough to stack (overnight should be enough), keep them inside a cardboard box with a lid, so they're in the dark, they should be fine.

cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #7 of 8

Thanks cdgleason & hollyml! That's very good to know.

bmarlow001 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 8

I agree, no rack, I would put them on the parchment paper and I always have them dry in a box side by side I don't ever stack them for fear they will break or get little niks in them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%