Drying Fondant Accents

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 3:28am by bmarlow001

MariaK38  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:03am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! What's the best way to dry fondant accents? I have 200 fondant monogram plaques for cupcakes to do. Should I just put them on cookie sheets over parchment paper, or should I put them on cookie racks so air gets underneath them?
Also, once they're dry (in a week or so), can I just store them in a cardboard cake box until I need them?

Thanks! Maria

7 replies
 Alfiesmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:31am
post #2 of 8

when i make anything (maximum 2 weeks before) i leave to dry on parchment or wax paper cookie sheets (unless they need shape then i use bubblewrap) for couple hours/half a day, then box them in a gift/shirt box still on the bubble wrap. they're always fine. i've been told to never 'seal' them in airtight tupperware or bags.

MariaK38  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 8

thank you!

cakeythings1961  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 8

Does the fondant fade as it dries?

cdgleason  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 8

I try to make sure that I put pieces on a flat surface... as opposed to a standard rack that you might use to cool cookies. If you put soft fondant on anything like a wire rack, you'll end up seeing the pattern on the back side, and it may distort your pieces.
If you add a little bit of cmc or tylose powder to your fondant, they will set a little faster...like over night, and be easier to move without distorting!!
I think there are some colors...like pink and purple, that are distorted if they are exposed to lots of light! I try to keep my pink fondant and gumpaste stuff covered!!

hollyml  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 8

Colored fondant can fade over time but it's not the drying process that does it; it's exposure to light. Especially sunlight. So once they are stiff enough to stack (overnight should be enough), keep them inside a cardboard box with a lid, so they're in the dark, they should be fine.

cakeythings1961  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #7 of 8

Thanks cdgleason & hollyml! That's very good to know.

bmarlow001  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 8

I agree, no rack, I would put them on the parchment paper and I always have them dry in a box side by side I don't ever stack them for fear they will break or get little niks in them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%