What Do You Think Is The Best Presentation For This Cake?

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 12:09am by 808hedda

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 11

I'll be doing a "raw steak" cake for a friend of ours (long story icon_smile.gif ), and have been sifting through some of the gallery pictures, which are gorgeous. I'm deliberating between making "butcher paper" out of fondant for the cake board, or simply presenting it on a styrofoam meat tray wrapped in plastic. I don't know where to get a clean styrofoam tray (like the ones you would actually buy meat on at the grocery store), and I'm not sure what the cleanest, most appealing presentation would be for this to make it super cute: should I even try the plastic wrap approach, or do you think a toothpick with my birthday message on it (like a price tag) and fondant butcher paper would look prettiest? Any other suggestions are quite welcome as well!

Thanks in advance!

-Emi.

10 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 11

I like the butcher paper idea but instead of a toothpick I think I would make a fondant "sticker". You know how they seal the wrapped meat with a pricing sticker? When you open the paper you sort of tear the seal? That's what I would replicate. Cool idea!

Cat

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 11

Can you go to the butcher at your grocery store and ask for a foam tray? Then you could either wash it and use it for the cake, or use it to mold a tray out of gumpaste.

emiyeric Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks, guys! As far as using the butcher tray, I would be afraid to use it simply because it's a porous surface and, unless it was packaged when they gave it to me, it could have been exposed to anything butcher-y and would be impossible to clean into the pores. As far as making the tray out of gumpaste, I could definitely do that too, though I would have to get it done by tomorrow to give it time to dry appropriately.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any other views would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

-Emi.

emiyeric Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 11

PS I like the sticker idea as well! Thanks!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 11

Could you use freezer paper in place of true butcher paper?

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 11

You could use the press and seal plastic wrap to cover it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 11

I understand your concern. But, the foam trays are not porous. If they were, the meat juice would soak through, making the tray completely useless. If you're still creeped out by it, you could cut a board the exact size and shape of your steak so there's a barrier between.

emiyeric Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks guys! I'll post an update when it's done!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 11

I think rather than making "butcher paper" out of fondant I would just use actual butcher paper. icon_smile.gif

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:09am
post #11 of 11

I had to buy the meat tray for my steak cake. I explained what it was for and she said..."huh?" I explained it again and she gave me one from inside a package. She did have to charge me $.50, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%