Isomalt Boiling Temperature

Sugar Work By Sophdobe Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm by Sophdobe

Sophdobe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophdobe Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I've done a bit of research before my 1st attempt on making isomalt diamonds and on most instructions (including the make your own mold's clearcut isomalt method) say boil the isomalt to around 334 degrees F (or at least around 300 degree F)

BUT my isomalt starts turning brown around 248 degrees F (I checked my thermometer before I started making them, it's approximately -38 degree F than the actually temperature).

Why is my isomalt burning at a much lower temperature?

Now I'm not sure when to take my isomalt off the heat - Any suggestions?

I made another batch and took it off the heat around 239 degrees F but it gave a cloudy look (and they were really sticky when I removed them from the mold).

Help!!!!

5 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 6

I boil mine to 305 degrees. Never had it burn. Which recipe are you using?

Sophdobe Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 6

I used the clearcut isomalt recipe.

I'm thinking it might be due to the mineral water I used... cuz i thought mineral water = distilled water...

Does the boiling temperature effect how the isomalt hardens?

Cuz the ones I made were really sticky (or could this be due to the hot, humid condition of where I live?)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

Yes, the temp affects it--too low & it's sticky, too high and it's brittle.

Mineral water doesn't equal distilled.

I have no idea why it looks like it's boiling at such a low temp, but all of the recipes I've seen call for temps above 300F.

Rae

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:01am
post #5 of 6

I've been reading a little about isomalt. I'd try it again, but with the distilled water. I've read that it's the minerals that will turn it yellow or brown. Also if that doesn't work I would also check your candy thermometer as I also read somewhere that some candy thermometers aren't always accurate. Wherever I read it said how to test it. But I read page after page here and there about isomalt I don't think I could ever track that info down again. icon_sad.gif

Good luck and keep trying. icon_smile.gif I'm gonna give this isomalt a whirl next month if I can ever figure out where to purchase it locally.

Sophdobe Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 6

Hi everyone~ I've had another go again and I think it was the water I used!

I used distilled water instead of mineral water this time and they didn't go brown at all!

But they r still sticky though icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%