Can Royal Icing Be Used To Do This?

Decorating By CakesByRowe Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm by CakesByRowe

CakesByRowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByRowe Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 12

This one uses Chocolate and fondant I think. I'm making one similar to this one this weekend. The lady doesn't want Fondant except for the ball. I've not worked with chocolate or color flow and was wondering if Royal Icing would work for the parts that stand off the cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1375328

11 replies
cmnycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmnycakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 12

So the client wants nothing done in fondant except for the ball?? That's crazy. The stars can be done in royal, but that would be way too much work, and I'd probably charge the client three times for the same design. As for the characters, yea, royal will work. Not my preferred thing though.

You should tell her how gum paste can be made: with royal and tylose. So basically, you should be able to use some gum paste...

CakesByRowe Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks, I'll mention it to her

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 12

Yes you can make those with royal icing.

You outline your design with royal and then fill in with flo-icing which is thinned down royal icing.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 12

Sure why not! If your a glutton for punishment. With ri they will be very fragile, not to mention the amount of time. Hope you have plenty of time for them to dry and the humidity level is not up.

FlamingoLadyKimmie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlamingoLadyKimmie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 12

I have done some characters and figures before in royal and color flow icing...what a pain! They look terriffic, but are a lot of work and usually take at least a few days to dry completely and are quite fragile. I would try and talk to your client about using gumpaste or fondant. If you end up making them out of royal/color flo I would definitely charge more!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 12

I am I the only person who LOVES RI and flo-icing decorations? I have made lots of them and I love them!!

Mine usually only take about 24 hrs to dry. With MMF It took 3 weeks for my fondant hand to dry and over 3 days for my flowers to dry.

icon_biggrin.gif

picakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
picakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 12

I would try doing the figures out of chocolate. I just did this for the first time last night and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. I made a logo and it came out great the first time. It cooled and hardened really quickly in the fridge and it pretty durable now that it has set up. I'm not an expert by any means, so I just wanted to say it wasn't hard and I've never done it before so don't be afraid to give it a try!

CakesByRowe Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #9 of 12

I'm still pretty new to RI too. I've learned some flowers with it but other than that I've not had much practice. I've done a few FBCT and generally they come out ok and I really don't mind doing those all that much. I did pick up some white chocolate to play around with. My only question about that really is can you use the gel colors on it the same as you can with the other stuff? I really don't think she is going to sway on the fondant/gumpaste thing.

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:38am
post #10 of 12

i wanted to do a logo on the side of a cake and i would have likes to try FBCT but we have been having like 90% humidity so i was liking RI instead does anyone know id it would hold up?
thank you

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #11 of 12

I don't think I would trust the RI to get hard enough by this weekend. The three-tier (offset) graduation cake in my photos has RI words that are propped up, and I added cream of tartar to the RI to help make it hard, but I made the words two weeks in advance so they would dry good. I think I would try something with gumpaste.

CakesByRowe Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 12

Here is the finished product. I made 2 sets of the decorations. Ya'll were right, they were pretty fragile and some did get broken but in the end I was able to still put everyone onto the cake that I had wanted to so I guess it all worked out. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1773375.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%