I Can't Make Angelfood Cake

Baking By white_roses09 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 10:32am by scp1127

white_roses09 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

For my boyfriend's birthday this last year, I made him an angel food cake. Well, it went horribly wrong. When I say horribly wrong...I really do mean it. The little cakes turned out smaller than the amount of batter I filled the pan with. He took one bite and litterally gagged. I admit, I have never done angelfood cake before, but with this large amount of caos, I was put off cake making for a while.

Any suggestions, comments, ideas? Am I SOL on making angel food?

5 replies
yums Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 6

Did you try using a mix? I think they are pretty hard to goof up, and unless he sees- no need to mention it came from a box.

MJoycake Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 6

angelfood cakes need to be able to climb up the sides of the pan, so you need to be sure you are NOT using a non-stick pan, and that you do NOT grease the pan. I remember watching an Alton Brown episode on angelfood cakes and he said to make sure you're not buying a non-stick angelfood pan - he didn't understand why pan companies were coming out with them as angelfood requires the sticking to the pan part in order to rise.

Best of luck with another try!

white_roses09 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

it was a box mix...

and I did use a non stick cake pan, that I did spray with cooking spray. That was probably where I made my mistake

thanks

bakeratheart123 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:17am
post #5 of 6

Go for the box mix, thats all i use. And everybody loves it, i get asked to make angel food cupcakes all the time. Try them out i promise if i can make them, so can you. And they are soooo yummy!

scp1127 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:32am
post #6 of 6

It sounds like you only made the mistake of greasing the pan, so if it was a scratch recipe, don't be afraid to try it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%