Cream Cheese Icing Too Thin

Baking By klj0207 Updated 8 Dec 2011 , 6:26am by susandee

klj0207 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 6

Any ideas how to get cream cheese icing thicker? I have a recipe for strawberry lemonade cupcake and icing tht I get so many compliments on, but the icing never stands up. When I pipe it on, it just falls. The recipe below is the one I used first, then I altered another cream cheese recipe I had and still get the same result. The 2nd time I made it I used 1 stick of butter, 1 bar of cream cheese, 2 pounds powdered sugar (used another recipe I had) then added the lemon juice and strawberries. I think I always add about 5 tbls of strawberry puree. I don't want to use less because I want the flavor, but I think thats what makes it runny. Any ideas how to keep the flavor without reducing the amounts, but still make it pipe on without it falling?

1 cup fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
12 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
18 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 2/3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
3 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract

To make the frosting, puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender. Strain the puree through a mesh sieve to remove the seeds, and set aside. Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add the lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. Mix in strawberry puree, a tablespoon at a time, until you achieve your desired texture and flavor of frosting (I added about 7 tablespoons of puree)

5 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 6

Looks like there is alot of "liquid" in this, so I'm sure you'll need to use more PS. Possibly upping the CC to 16 oz would help too. There is just so much liquid in there it's going to be trial and error until you get the proportions just right. Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

klj0207 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thats what I thought too....the first time I just kept adding more and more PS, but that didn't seem to help. I guess I'll just try to add more CC then. I just want to add enough strawberry and lemon juice to get the taste right. Thanks!

zespri Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not sure if you are willing to look at a whole new recipe, but this one says it crusts, so maybe it's firmer?
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

PinkLisa Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

That sounds like amazing flavors. Why not use lemon extract since you would need less liquid. And then make a strawberry preserves (on the stovetop cook strawberries, sugar and water and then strain and add cornstarch to thicken it). When you add this to the icing it will be less liquidity but instead more like a gel. Also I would add PS as needed. But if you have too much liquid that won't help much.

susandee Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 6:26am
post #6 of 6

I would mash the strawberries and reduce them by simmering them with the juices until the mixture was extremely concentrated and super thick, almost a paste consistency. That would reduce the amount of liquid without shortchanging the strawberry flavor. Reduction is a great way too amplify flavors; it simply evaporates the water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%