Would You Do This?

Business By Dreme Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 3:15am by JulieMN

Dreme Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 19

Would you add invisible tracking to emails to see when a client reads them? How do you feel about it?

I'm considering this b/c I'm starting to send out more information about quotes than getting the order. Yesterday I sent out 12 emails responding to quotes that were made over the weekend and nobody has responded. They all got sent through, I went back a double checked. I feel like if I see that they read the email, then I can kinda figure if the price was too high or they don't want to book. Nobody ever admits to or sends a courtesy email when they don't want to book. I hate waiting to find out. That and I hate when I send an email and then weeks later they want to book the week they need their order and I have other orders booked. At least this way I will know that they were procrastinating on making an order and won't be as irritated when they do. I just don't like not knowing. Am I wrong for this?

18 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 19

I use the "request receipt" feature on all of my e-mails, personal or business.

sillywabbitz Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 19

I think it's perfectly fine. And it helps so you don't think 'maybe they didn't get it', etc.
Email is a great form of communicatio but it can have issues so I think return receipt is a goodway to gain piece of mind.

CWR41 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 19

I don't see how knowing when/if they read your quote would keep down on procrastination on their part. Perhaps if your quote stated that the quote was only valid for so many days, and is very clear how much advanced notice is needed along with "deposit required no later than" date (or "paid in full" date), it would help.

baybeecakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 19

I think that is a great idea!! but how do you do that I have never seen an option for return request?

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 19

I don't think it's necessary...how would knowing when/if an email was actually read change anything? You will receive an automatic bounce message if there was a technical issue sending the email, so you can assume it went through if you don't receive a bounce.

If you'd like to follow up, I would advise giving them a call a few days to a week later.

leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 19

Oh I embed all sorts of tracking codes here and there . . .

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybeecakes

I think that is a great idea!! but how do you do that I have never seen an option for return request?

Return receipt requests are usually only reliable when sending within the same email system, and they are usually not available with web-based email (which is what most people use for personal email).

The other option is to add a hidden image to the email that can track when people read it, but that might cause your email to be routed to the spam folder, since some spammers also do that.

alvarezmom Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

I don't see how knowing when/if they read your quote would keep down on procrastination on their part. Perhaps if your quote stated that the quote was only valid for so many days, and is very clear how much advanced notice is needed along with "deposit required no later than" date (or "paid in full" date), it would help.

Good idea CRW! This seems like the more "business" way to do it. I wk in purchasing and I obtain quotes every single day. It's a good way for customers to know how long they have before pricing changes.

Cakechick123 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 19

I have read requests on all my mails, private and business.

I also have a line in my signature that says "All quotes are valid for one week, no date is booked until the deposti is paid"

this ensures that they know my terms and wont come back month later and expect the date to still be available.

leily Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Good idea CRW! This seems like the more "business" way to do it. I wk in purchasing and I obtain quotes every single day. It's a good way for customers to know how long they have before pricing changes.

I have it large and in bold on every quote when they need to place the order. I also state what i need for a deposit and any other information (color swatches, special items for the cake like ribbon, figurines etc..) that is pertinent to the order. I also have it stated that the order is not placed until i have a signed quote and the deposit in my hand.

KTB4 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #12 of 19

Interesting - how do you do that?

homebasedbaking Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:07pm
post #13 of 19

I have used return receipt and Spy Pig on client emails where I quote important information i.e. prices, recommendations on storage etc.

http://www.spypig.com/

It really is just good practice since not all customers come in "ethical" packages and may test you from time to time. It never hurts!

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 19

Just as a follow up. It is completely possible that an email does not go through to the customer even if you do not get a bounce message. Traditionally a bounce is performed if you have an invalid email address. The email may end up in a spam folder, it may get stuck in the email server as well. I have received emails up to 2 weeks after they were sent before. It's rare but it does happen. I definately agree that from a business perspective putting a limit on the time the quote is good for is an excellent way to encourage the customers alongicon_smile.gif

SpyPig looks interestingicon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebasedbaking

I have used return receipt and Spy Pig on client emails where I quote important information i.e. prices, recommendations on storage etc.

http://www.spypig.com/

It really is just good practice since not all customers come in "ethical" packages and may test you from time to time. It never hurts!

So what do you do if you don't get a spypig receipt from a customer after a few days?

FYI, most mail clients will inform you when an incoming email is attempting to access the internet and will give you the opportunity to block that access (along with a warning that such access may not be safe), rendering spypig ineffective and potentially casting doubt on the legitimacy of the sender's business practices.

JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 19

If you look under the spypig stories, the grammar of most of them looks to be like the scammer emails you get! That's funny, I didn't know until a PP posted that scammers uses this kind of software!

costumeczar Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:51pm
post #17 of 19

Why not just put the line in the email about not having the cake booked until you receive a deposit at least X amount of weeks before the event, then not worry about it? If they don't get back to you they don't get a cake.

homebasedbaking Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #18 of 19

I don't use this on all email and it depends on the circumstance. I don't put that much effort into whether a potential responds to my email or not, since I usually have the telephone numbers to potential clients and I just call them. You really must understand some folks don't respond to email until they are ready and sometime they don't respond at all. I just use it to verify that I provided information requested.

JulieMN Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #19 of 19

Not sure that I would use it to track quotes, but had a friend who used ReadNotify (www.readnotify.com) to track and prove that some exceptionally important emails were read.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%